In and around Hogsback.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Here are some pics of Hogsback whilst riding around.
On Saturday morning (after quite a rain storm the previous night), Trailrider, Eisbein, SCP, DieterJ and myself went exploring. First stop was The Edge - what an awesome spot! The cliff just stops and falls off into a ravine which must be hundreds of meters deep. Then it was onto the Eco shrine  - an stunningly beautiful property where Dianna (don't remember surname) has built a "shrine" dedicated to our evolution and our link with the universe, where she displays her paintings. We spent over half an hour there, and then decided it was time for breakfast at a coffee shop in "town". Duly fortified, we followed the dirt road to the parking area above the Madonna and child falls. The other guys declined, but I really wanted to see them. The hike down took about 10 minutes, but back up took 25! Man, I need to exercise more! The falls are absolutely awesome and well worth a visit.
Have to go to a meeting, this will be continued.

labyrinth_tn.jpg

The Labyrinth at The Edge.

theedge2_tn.jpg

View from The edge.

theedge3_tn.jpg

...and another.

driveway_tn.jpg

Driveway leading to the Eco Shrine.

P1000420_tn.jpg

The EcoShrine.

P1000425_tn.jpg

View from the Shrine.

viewfromecogarden_tn.jpg

Another view.

Madonnachild1_tn.jpg

The Madonna and Child falls.

MadonnachildBW2_tn.jpg

Getting "arty" ;)

You did the bash as well!! Lucky guy....will check out other pics when they arrive

Letsgo, nice report thanks. The Shrine was created by Dianna Graham. She is in fact my ex-wifes Aunt. Dianna's was also married to the brother of Crocodile Harris the SA musician.

I knew there was a reason we liked you CO, I just wasn't sure untill now. Your'e connected to crocodile dundee

After that, we were told about a circular route up into the mountains. Unfortunatley, after 5 minutes, TR had a puncture. He had no tools, patches, spare tube, nada. Hahaa, - KTM to the rescue ;).  I had my tools, spare tubes and compressor with me and proceeded to replace the tube. After sweating for quite some time, it was done. Pumped it up and bugg*r me, the tyre's nearly  flat again!
TR decides to ride back to the camp v e r y slowly. We get there, take out the tube and it's got "snake bites" in it! Patch the tube, put it back in, pump it up and it still leaks! KTMjedi comes to the rescue, gives TR his spare tube and replaces it - all's well finally. Apparently, I pinched the tube with the tyre iron :-[

It's now about 4:00 and Eisbein and I decide to go for a ride up the 4x4 route. The petrol stations are closed and we only have enough petrol for about 100km but still need to make it to Fort Hare the next morning! We ride for about 40 mins and then decide to turn back, playing it safe. On getting back, we discover that if we had ridden another 20km, we would have done a river crossing, ridden through an amazing Yellowwood forest and been back at the starting point of the trail! :'( Oh well, next time!

atthedam_tn.jpg

The dam where near where TR's puncture occured.

viewfrom4x4trail_tn.jpg

View from the 4x4 trail.

valleyview_tn.jpg

This is where we turned round.

4x4trail_tn.jpg

On the way back.

TheHogsback2_tn.jpg

The dam and the Hogsback.

What a great weekend! ;D

Geez, I have much that I can look forward to the next time I go there. I saw none of that. Great pics.

Kamanya said:
Geez, I have much that I can look forward to the next time I go there. I saw none of that. Great pics.

Yip. I want to go back also. Saw much of what LGF took pics of but there is at least a weeks worth of exploring to do in that area.

I have lived in the Eastern Cape for 50 years and never been there .. thanks to all the dogs who voted for Hogsback. This area is where all the Frontier Wars took place. We took a whole day on tar to get there. spoke to and met many eccentric and interesting people.

Baviaans and Garden Route are now second choice.

Really not to happy missing this Bash but judging by the pics in all the reports,it is diffenitly on my to-do list.

Mark Hardy said:
Really not to happy missing this Bash but judging by the pics in all the reports,it is diffenitly on my to-do list.

+1 just wasn,y feasible for me for a few reasons  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Damn, a bit less indulgence on the first night and maybe I could get in a full day's ride next time. Quite a bit I missed I see. At least I did the forrest bit.
Nice pics LGF!

Some more Hogsback pics. Definitely a place made for KLR's. Awesome views and good roads.

Will go there again in May, to see the autumn colours in the trees!

Attachments

• DSCN3345.JPG
    DSCN3345.JPG
    215 KB
  • DSCN3307.JPG
    DSCN3307.JPG
    221.5 KB
  • DSCN3315.JPG
    DSCN3315.JPG
    241.3 KB
  • DSCN3364.JPG
    DSCN3364.JPG
    226.5 KB
Gravelmad said:
I knew there was a reason we liked you CO, I just wasn't sure untill now. Your'e connected to crocodile dundee

We like you too gravelBOY >:D >:D ;D What was that about Likkewaan Labuschagne?

The morning with SnapCracklePop, Trailrider, LetsGoFishing and DieterJ.
This is SCP standing on the Edge:
hogsback_the_edge1.jpg

LGF on the way to the Ecoshrine:
hogsback_Eco_shrine.jpg

A view from the shrine:
hogsback_Eco_shrine_1.jpg

The artist - she must have the most awesome property in Hogsback:
hogsback_Eco_shrine_2.jpg

My precioussssss:
hogsback_Eco_shrine_3.jpg

Coming back from the EcoShrine:

hogsback_Eco_shrine_4.jpg

hogsback_Eco_shrine_5.jpg

Trailrider getting rustig at the Madonna and Child falls:
hogsback_madonna_child.jpg

KTM roadside assist for Honda:
hogsback_ktm_roadside_assist.jpg

A shamed CTX bending over...
hogsback_ktm_roadside_assist2.jpg

A HogsbackBash still life - A swingarm, Dusty chain and various brakebits:
hogsback_ktm_roadside_assist3.jpg

LGF in front of the Hogsback:
hogsback_4x4route2.jpg

and on the part of the 4x4 road where I could operate the camera while riding:
hogsback_4x4route1.jpg

The next morning's KTM roadside assist for Honda (again) - TR's chain was too tight.
hogsback_2nd_ktm_roadside_assist.jpg

Some rural scenery at the spot of the chain adjust:

hogsback_landscape.jpg