Innovative soft storage bags for trail riding - As used by Paris/Dakar riders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayneh

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BSA (all models)
I recently purchase a KTM 525 earlier this year. Not the usual enduro version, but the factory Desert Racer... With longer gearing; larger fuel tank; and all the roadworthy electrics.

(click on images for bigger views)

My riding consists of mainly day trips. And I enjoy a combined fast and technical trail... So my previous steed (a 2006, 950) was fun but had some unfortunate shortcomings... Like weighing a flipping ton when having to pick up for the umptenth time in the slow deep sand sections, or the dry river beds. So change was needed.

But change needed it's own modifications to try for a closer score of perfection... For my requirments anyway (everyone's needs are slightly difefrent).  ;)

After fitting a GPS; raising the bars; an even bigger tank (25lt); installing high rated suspension springs (front & back)... You have to do this for your suspension if you weigh (fully kitted) anything above 80kgs. It's the best money you can ever spend on your riding pleasure... Anyway, the KTM lacked anywhere to carry the basic trail riding utilises - tools, tube, puncture repair, a few spares (spark plug, chain masterlink etc.), metalbond, cable ties etc.
So I went a searching on the net.
That's where I stumbled across Dirt-Bike-Gear.com

I selected three of their awesome carry bags... All of which have been seriously quality checked (not made in China) and tested over the past three Paris/Dakar ralleys.

First one: The all necessary Bum Bag.
I wanted something that didn't slip around; carried an array of tools without them clanking around; and had easy access to pockets for the garage card and cellphone. Well it fulfilled this, and then some.

I had to keep checking whether I had left it behind at one of our many short stops... You just don't feel it at all. The thick traps are comfortable, and the way the main pack is tighted into the main strap mean there is no movement at all. Perfect.

Next... Since I don't want 'everything' strapped to me, I got the Dirt-Bike-Gear.com Rear Fender Bag, which bolts straight onto your bikes rear fender (four locking bolts). The cool thing about this bag is it (if so ordered) comes with an Inner Bag for the tools (so you can remove the tools easily when you wish); and two expandable cross-over straps to tightly hold the bag... And your weatherproof jacket, or such like, if so needed.

This bag holds an awesome amount of gear.

Lastly: A heavy duty tube takes up a huge amount of spaces, so I opted for the Front Fender Spare Tube Bag. This straps directly onto your front fender (around the focks) and requires no installation other than clicking the straps and tightening.

The purchase over the net was easy and the companies response and service was faultless. Delivery took about 16 days from order... But please note, although I asked them to mark the goods as Bike Spares (to try and avoid duty), the customs where too clever for me and opened the box; reclassificed it as soft lungage; and allocated a 30% customs duty. So just be aware of this when you go to collect from the post office.

In a world of shadey producers, and dodgy suppliers, I have found these products to be super quality, made by real offroad riders, and run a business were my only little purchase (from some town in deep dark Africa  ;D ) was treated with professionalisum and care.

Bike now all kitted.