Inverter time to charge batteries

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

the_BOBNOB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
What should one expect to pay for a 102 ah LifePo4 battery and charger?
All I have is a small 12 v system to run

Last time I saw a good price was 'n REVOV 100ah First Life battery for R6795 at GeeWiz.

Currently not seeing any good deals out there.

Normally you would let your inverter do the charging - you get LifePo4 chargers from say Optimate etc but they are expensive and they do very low amps so they charge very slow not really a loadshedding solution.

EssBee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Should be labelled as LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate). There is also Li-ion (lithium ion) - not the same thing. Ask specifically for LiFePO4 - if it is not specifically stated, it may be old Li-ion stock.
Is a Lithium Ion significantly "inferior" to a Lithium Iron Phosphate? Are they, however, better than gel batteries?

roxenz

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Is a Lithium Ion significantly "inferior" to a Lithium Iron Phosphate? Are they, however, better than gel batteries?
Main difference (that I'm aware of) between Li-ion and LiFePO4 is that the iron-phosphate will have a lifetime (number of cycles) of more than 5x that of Li-ion. Otherwise (for our typical applications) there is probably not much difference.

Biggest drawback on lead gel batteries is slow charging time and significantly fewer cycles (life) than either of the Li batteries. Slow charging can become issue with shorter breaks between loadshedding: if your battery does not charge fully between sheds, you will eventually run out of juice.

My Pylontech LiFePO4 3500kWh charges up from 30% to full in just over 30 minutes (if I heard wifey correctly - she's in control of everything electric and electronic in the house, except for my laptop and cell 😊).

the_BOBNOB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure

Lithium-Ion gives bigger punch. More amps but they are a lot more volatile - think videos of electric car spontaneous combusting and burning a whole in the tar road.

Also they tend to be very expensive - LifePo4 better value for your rands.

the_BOBNOB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Main difference (that I'm aware of) between Li-ion and LiFePO4 is that the iron-phosphate will have a lifetime (number of cycles) of more than 5x that of Li-ion. Otherwise (for our typical applications) there is probably not much difference.

Biggest drawback on lead gel batteries is slow charging time and significantly fewer cycles (life) than either of the Li batteries. Slow charging can become issue with shorter breaks between loadshedding: if your battery does not charge fully between sheds, you will eventually run out of juice.

My Pylontech LiFePO4 3500kWh charges up from 30% to full in just over 30 minutes (if I heard wifey correctly - she's in control of everything electric and electronic in the house, except for my laptop and cell 😊).

3500 kWh that is impressive - i only use 600kWh per month :p

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
My Pylontech LiFePO4 3500kWh charges up from 30% to full in just over 30 minutes (if I heard wifey correctly -
I hope you heard the boss incorrectly!
The 3.5kWh (74Ah) pylontech should be charged at a maximum of 37A. At that rate, it would take 2h from 0% to 100% or 1.4h from 30% to 100%.
Charging (or discharging) it at a rate higher than 37A will reduce its lifespan.

1669037056431.png