Is an H1 van a good option for a campervan project.

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Fudmucker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Decades ago I had a VW Westphalia camper that I rigged out myself.
My wife and I had some great times touring in it.
I was a fool to ever sell it, but babies demand sacrifices.
I'm thinking of building a new camper van and wondering if the Hyundai H1 Van platform would be suitable basis.
Anyone with experience of the H1 van from a reliability and upkeep view?

I'm thinking 2.5 diesel auto.
I far prefer rear wheel drive setups.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
I have my opinions Fud neither all negative or positive, but interested in the responses. :cool:

dieterf

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I bought a new one in around 2012 and I thought it was the bee's knees
When i replaced it with a T6 VW in 2016 I realised the VW was better

Heavier on fuel, less performance, poorer handling, didn't like to tow or carry heavy loads.

It was reliable and Hyundai service was good and cheaper than VW.

The real wheel drive had less traction&ground clearance then the front wheel drive VW (I used both for farm access and towing a boat)

The Hyundai did have the better seats and was better insulated in terms of noise and possibly weather.

It wasn't a bad van, but the VW pips it in in my experiences.

I sold the VW this year and got better money than the H1 did as a comparison, but i suppose general times have changed in the vehicular market.

IceCreamMan

Grey Hound
Reaction score
The H1 is a big heavy vehicle and the engine not particularly powerful but it is reliable and will go forever and far cheaper than most others. Also slightly larger iirc. Not too light on juice esp when loaded with people and stuff.

i have been thinking of getting one myself here. Interesting to see the responses on this. I have driven around 10 000 kms in an H1 and thought it a pretty decent, if uninspiring, van.

Fudmucker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
The real wheel drive had less traction&ground clearance then the front wheel drive VW (I used both for farm access and towing a boat)
I find the less traction bit surprising. Is that empty or carrying a load ?
The joy of the rear engine RWD Kombi was the traction because the weight was on the driven wheels.
I plan to have only two in the camper, rigged in a twin bed setup so I can take a small bike or my Vespa in the back.
All cupboards and fittings will be removable so I can use it for carrying stuff when not off camping.
I am looking at a used van and I would install two windows in the doors instead of the fixed panels for driver visibility, but the rear quarter would be solid.

I may just keep the van for hauling and tow a small caravan instead.
Easier to adapt, but more expensive in insurance and licence fees.

Oubones

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I cannot comment on the H1 as I never had one, none of the guys where I did couriers ever used them. Merc or Vw.
I would go for a front wheel drive if going anywhere on bad roads, my fwd Vito was far superior. Having driven panelvan since 2005 for work and camping, I would go VW if your budget allows.

dieterf

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Irrespective if empty or loaded, maybe it was down to the gears, bear in mind it was an auto. I often had to do the hand brake trick to action a make shift diff lock.
I also had an old VW air cooled bus in its day, those went virtually anywhere.

Leo

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
We have three in our fleet - two have dedicate drivers.

The third is a pool vehicle, so everyone that get's in wants to fcuk it up even more and driver it harder than the next.

The H1 has given zero trouble. I recently had it resprayed due do all the little scratches and dents and bought seat covers as these were damaged as well.

Other than that it's a pure joy with plenty of power.

Bappas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Had the rwd Vito 262 trouble free kilo s only service shocks and brakes but very poor on dirt and loose surfaces

JustBendIt

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
No ...I do not believe the Hondnaai H1 is a good option for campervan project

VW or Merc is much much better

goodtoogo

Pack Dog
Reaction score
I got a vw transporter lwb. My brother's got a h1.
Vw lwb is a better camper van.
Take nothing away from the h1 its good the vw is just somewhat better
Great space
Good fuel economy
In basic trim its ample

Both vechiles in van configurations are
Noisy inside more so with the vw since there is no separation wall between cab and rear, which is a plus for the vw space wise

DenDirtbiker

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I first had the Vito 116, sold that and got the VW LWB 2.5 diesel and then after a short stint in a piece of "Ford" double cab (which I'll never own again, double cab or Ford, both shit IMO) I went for the Hyundai H1. All 3 very capable vehicles, but the Merc was tops for me. The VW had a tendancy to eat driveshafts (probably caused by my right lead foot syndrome) and although the H1 has been flawless, it is thirstier than I am. That said, it is the only 1 with an auto gearbox out of the 3 I owned. When the H1 is kaput I reckon I'll go back to a Merc.

Rough Rider

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Provided you get the diesel you cannot go wrong with the H1. I've had mine for over 10 years, it goes like a flippen train, consumes 10ltr/100km no matter how you drive it and it never gives trouble.

Vulcan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF 300L
From an ownership perspective I can comment, but not from a campervan perspective.

We also owned the H1 Multicab 2,5 Diesel Auto for about 40000km. The Multicab can carry a ton in the back. It is rear wheel drive and we have taken it everywhere - Tankwa, Cederberg and many other wonderful locations in South Africa. Fuel consumption was 10km/l on average. Services and parts were cheap and the turning circle is unbelievably small. Very nice to use in town and it can stretch its legs proper on the long road as well.

Fudmucker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
What I particularly notice is that a used H1 is 100-150k cheaper than a MD or VW of similar vintage and odometer reading. I can do a lot of travel with 150k!

Tman21

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Bajaj (all models)
LWB Transporter is what you want. The H1 is much smaller cabin wise and has all the interior trim in your way for building and adding on, that being said I have a SWB Transporter for sale that will be a very suitable base for a camper conversion, suspension and mechanically sound + ive done 70% + of the insulation and sound deadening. You will get 13-14kmpl as a reward for changing your own gears. Manic & TheTransporter reckons its barely run in.

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
We camped in our Kombi for a good few years. Although one does not live in it the low roof hight and cramped space got to us. So we got a motor home. At our age we need space.

Get a high top. Today’s cars are all good.

Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
We have used H1’s in Afghanistan as well, firstly and most importantly the reliability.
You can’t beat it there.
Secondly dor the space and load carrying capabilities.
Never had any ‘traction issues’, it was solid build quality and road holding at any speed including miles of dirt and potholes day in and day out.
Go with the H1, you won’t be sorry.