It's all giong a bit Pete Tong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Oh dear, you'd think the hoops you have to jump through to get on a plane or cross borders would be the biggest issue travelling today, but no, if Turkish Airlines decide not to put your bike on the plane in Istanbul for Cape Town like they were supposed to, that, my friends, is an even big spanner in the works, I can tell you.

My bike for some reason went to Johannesburg and is being trucked across country to The Mother City right now, hopefully in time to be collected by me on Wednesday.  My mate's bike however, is stuck in Istanbul having been bumped off the flight!  If we can't sort this today (Turkish are giving an ETA of 12 November)  with customs clearance no chance of getting it before the 14th.  Which is when we are supposed to be at Palmwag.

So, we are exploring alternatives: rent for the forty odd days (even with a discount, mega biucks) or maybe buy a bike like an 1150 (as Itchy Boots found out, not possible to do paperwork properly) of maybe a 'private' rental. 

Anyone have any ideas?  We're working hard to sort this at our end, but with little time left before we travel it's difficult.