It's time - I need to choose new Helmet: AGV AX8 vs Shoei Hornet vs UVEX DS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Yes yes, another one of those threads  :bueller: but stick with me on this please.

I decided to take the plunge and buy a new decent helmet. My current Zeus is driving me mad and making me deaf. I have custom earplugs but man, I get a "bone conduction" effect that leaves a permanent ringing in my ears afterwards. At this rate I will loose my hearing in 3 road trips.

So, I narrowed it down to three helmets and fitted all of them.

AGV AX8:

Price: R4500-00. Middle of the three.
Fit: Very nice and comfortable, I like it.
View: Very broad view. When the visor is all the way up, the bottom edge is right in my sight line.
Styling: Awesome, aggressive looking Darth Vader effect
Peak: Good sun protection

UVEX DS

Price: R3800-00. Cheapest of the three.
Fit: Nice snug fit, although a bit more stiff/harder than the others
View: Good view - no bottom visor edge issue as the AGV, it opens up all the way.
Styling: Good
Peak: Good sun protection

Shoei Hornet

Price: R7500-00. Most expensive of the three
Fit: The best fit of them all for me, it is sweet.
View: Good view if I remember correctly
Styling: Very nice smooth look, not as aggressive as the AGV.
Peak: Seems shorter than the other two

Quality seems not real concern between the three. My main concern is the noise levels - something you can't test in a shop while fitting the helmets. I am willing to spend the extra money and get the Shoei, but is the reduction in noise levels noticeable enough to justify the extra bucks? Arai is too expensive and I have heard it is not the quietest around either.

What say ye dogs?

Latest posts