I've been conned: Bike in Somerset West

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blauth

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Does anyone live in Somerset West who could maybe go look at a bike for me. I'm happy to compensate you for your effort. I stay in Johannesburg so I can't go check it out for myself.

I found a rather nice XR650R for cheep cheep. Against my better judgement, I placed R2500.00 holding deposit on the bike but I very much suspect I've been conned.

Seller: Marco Justin Hansen
His address:
# 48 Erinvale Avenue,
Somerset West,
CA

This is kinda how the story goes:
It's advertised on Junkmail for 21k. I call him and he says he's in financial trouble so he's selling it but the guy does please call me's and that sort of shit. I understand that some okes can get into trouble so I'm not suspicious yet. He's also got a screaming kid in the background. I then offer to pay 5k holding deposit into his account if he sends me his ID, drivers license and a copy of the reg papers. We then do a simple agreement via sms which he agrees to. I offer to pay the money into a banking account but he says he banks with FNB and his account is badly overdrawn so he doesn't want me to deplosit the money there. He rather wants an instant money payment. He also says he can only send the copy of papers tomorrow because he's with family away from home. He does however send a copy of his ID and Drivers. At this time I'm a little suspicions so I agree to give him 2.5k and another 2.5k holding when I get the reg papers. At least this way, I'm limiting my exposure. He agrees and I do the InstantMoney transfer. He messages me back to say thanks, he's received the money. I felt a bit more reassured after that message because I'm not sure why a con would communicate with you after he's conned you already.

Anyway, later on in the afternoon, I get a call from him saying he's hit a pot hole and his car is fubar and he needs the other 2.5k for the tow truck driver. I declined and said we'd stick to our agreement i.e. I'd give that to him when I get a copy of the papers. Now I am convinced I've been conned but not 100% sure, just 98%.  ??? :eek: :( :mad:

So, if anyone is keen to go look at a clean XR650R in Somerset West for me, that would be great. Take your baseball bat with......

This is the info I have on the bloke:
Advert:
Copy of ID and Drivers (allegedly of him)
His phone number and his wife's.

Cheers
Barry