JayEye’s Mancave.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayEye

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
In December someone was asking about a cost effective way of putting up a mancave for whatever purpose. I suggested a precast type building that we had used before as a garage. They go up quick, little mess and instant satisfaction….. almost.

This got me quite keen to build one for myself but was battling to justify it. Then in January along comes wifey and complains that there’s no more space in the garage. I say that there’s not much we can do about it because we have too much stuff.  Then she suggests we build a storeroom, I object incredibly feebly then quickly agree. We “both” decide that my “junk” has to move out the garage.

So we decide on going the same precast building route because of quick and no mess. We get the company to come and quote in January, haggle a bit and then pay the 50% deposit on January 21st to take advantage of the bigger discount.

2 weeks later plans are submitted to the municipality and we wait………. I’m not keen to “just do it” like so many recommend because you are just lining yourself up for one moerse bribe payment.

About 2 months later the municipality comes back, after we have queried many times, and asks why we have a manhole cover on our payment. WTF? I don’t know you guys required that when the house was built.

Anyway so we wait patiently and impatiently and eventually the plans were approved on 24 May. Hallefrikkenlulia.

The company calls and says they can start Monday 31 May. Watch the dates closely now from something that started in January.

The obligatory before photo. With Gus posing.

e17d119f68ccc22f42da192e5391bb7b.jpg

Day 1

The guys arrive and after a quick site meeting they get started. Plan is to throw the slab by day 3.

6bbd3276090249801e6ac413d260af3a.jpg

End of Day 2 and the foundations are in and on track for the slab to be thrown on day 3
5c6ca8f5d4684a4940dc660197e83934.jpg

Day 3 and 4. Nada! Last weeks cold snap and raining, no slab can be thrown. So we reschedule slab for Day 5 Friday

Day 5 slab thrown. Now to keep the dogs off it.

b0327a6a1301ec933f5bf7b551558190.jpg

We managed to keep the dogs off, and the slab safe over the weekend. Although a little bird misjudged the consistency of the concrete and landed leaving a Number 11 skid mark and then buggered off. That caused a bit of a laugh.

Day 6 Monday, today, proper progress shown. Walls up and trusses on.
c4aff363d29903a7d6a3874082bd5384.jpg

The panels on the front door are just fir stability before it’s completed. I’ll keep you guys posted as to how long from start to finish. I’ll try to be disciplined and post daily updates.

I’m going to be needing advice on what flooring to put in. I was keen on a grey epoxy type finish but the paint pros said I would have to wait 6 months for the concrete to cure properly???

Anyway we have changed our mind and now are looking at interlocking plastic mats.

The layout inside is going to be work bench and storage down the right wall from the front doors. With bicycles down the back wall in the right bay. Bike will be parked in front of work bench in right bay.

The rest of the garage will be treadmill, stationary bike and gyming equipment.  Because the wife and I are going to become Mr and Mrs Universe. Maybe.

Anyway. Will keep you guys posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk