JHB-Durban-JHB - Berg Detour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierredb

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Road trips can be boring unless you find a way to pep them up.

I posted a thread asking if any KZN Dawgs would be interested in showing me some of their back yard. Slashback responded immediately and confirmed that he and JonW would give me a short tour on my way back to Jhb.

The trip down to Durbs on thursday was rather uneventful.
Lucky to miss this storm!
DSCN0695.jpg

The only other interesting event on the way down was these roadside maintenance ladies and the way they carry their cones
DSCN0696.jpg

On my way back I stopped off at Maritzburg to meet up with Slashback and we then rode up to Hilton to meet JonW.
DSCN0699.jpg

The Drakensberg is a wonderful area to ride in and although it deserves more , I didnt get any photos that are worth including in this report except for these of the river crossing.

This is Slashback and JonW walking the crossing to check it.
DSCN0700.jpg

JonW Setting off
DSCN0701.jpg

A close up of the water. Pretty strong current. Not a place to make a mistake!
DSCN0702.jpg

JonW making it look easy
DSCN0703.jpg

The locals wonder what we are on about. All passengers get their feet washed as part of the service!
DSCN0704.jpg

Then Slashack showed us that a KLR can walk on (in) water!
DSCN0706.jpg

DSCN0707.jpg

After this it was a short hop to Mooi river where we all said our good bye's and I hit the road back to JHB
DSCN0710.jpg

Thanks Guys! It was great to meet you!

Lekker water crossing! :blob10: Thanks for sharing.

Heya Doggone, good report and nice pics, hereâ??s one or two from my side.

After meeting up, we headed off towards Howick on the N3, and the turned off at Midmar, and headed out on the Petrus Stroom road in order to hook up with the Dargle Impendle road, and ultimately get up to the Himeville area, unfortunately(for us early risers) the mist in the berg was still quite thick, so there werenâ??t too many photo opportunities.

Hereâ??s JonW impressing us with a burn-outâ?¦â?¦.Kidding!
mist1.jpg

Nice view
view.jpg

From here we pretty much followed the same route that Jon and I did on Fire-buckets first trip, exept for when we got to the â??low levelâ? crossingâ?¦.It used to look like this
Umkomaas2.jpg

But now it looks like thisâ?¦thanks to some nice rains up in the Berg
crossing2.jpg

Doggone, going for a paddle!
crossing.jpg

We unfortunately had to say goodbye to Doggone at Mooi-River,as he had to head on back to the â??Big Smokeâ?.
bikes.jpg

Jon and I headed off towards Muden/Greytown on the Sierra ranch road, and met up with a farmer buddy of mine at Ivala Lodge, down in the Muden Valley..Nice pub and cold beers too!!! And they are biker friendly!!
Ivala.jpg

Ivala3.jpg

After enjoying friendly farm hospitality, and a quick snack, Jon and headed back to PmBurg via the Karkloof , unfortunately, we were a bit pressed for time, so no photies of this part of the ride.. All in all we covered around 450 kâ??s on this ride.

Thanks for the great ride guys, and it was great to meet you Doggone, See ya soon

Thanks Slashback and Doggone for a lekker ride out in the country.

Any other Dawgs from outside KZN must always give us a shout when they come down to Natal and we will be more than happy to show you around.

Well done guys, flying the KZN flag high!  Will try and join you when you take the next foreign dog for a ride.  :)

My hometown that,need to get there on my bike soon...mmmmmate of  mines 40th at Bishopstowe next month...

bushclown said:
Sweet Ride

Slashback when do I crack the node for a pmb ride

There was an invitation in the "Planning a ride" section.... ;) You're welcome anytime bud. I actually want to do that Sierra Ranch section again and have more time to explore....you keen?

edgy said:
My hometown that,need to get there on my bike soon...mmmmmate of  mines 40th at Bishopstowe next month...

Give us a shout when you're here, we can hook up for a beer/coke/milkshake.........
I'll pm my details.

Hi

Sorry I missed it, had some commitments at home. Spent most of the morning cleaning and polishing my steed, she looks good again. (The chain takes the longest time)

Will try and meet up for the next trip.