Kaapsehoop ... a much needed escape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colyn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
My day started as usual ... just past 6 I was up and online. I went through the usual processes of checking the mail, forums and news sites. By 8 o'clock I was done and ready for my business day. Well I thought it would be a normal day.

The first shot came by means of a frantic "Nudge" on MSN. Some idiot in the Kuwait office managed to get a virus onto the data server and the whole LAN was infected. Everything has to happen remotely and my blood was boiling.

At around 9 o'clock the Financial manager was on my case about stock issues and some other stuff and everything needs to be to be done now.

Slowly but surely things were building up and I was getting more and more agitated ... the stress of the office has been constant for the past two years and every now and then it will spike to a new level. My frame of mind was not good for my mental and physical health. Circumstances prevent me from taking a long break and things are constantly changing.

By 11 o'clock the Kuwait issue was under control and things were back to normal, no, not normal as in normal but normally stressed.

Now let me explain this ... I am part of an organization that provides m-Commerce Gateway services and I developed the administration interfaces to be 100% remotely manageable. I do not need to be in any space to work ... all I need is Internet Access. I live on a small farm outside Nelspruit and I have an office in the city but my office is here at home.

I needed some fresh air ...

Within 10 minutes I was in my riding gear and on the road ... not yet sure to where but in the saddle and moving. The smell of the bush and the low rumble from the 1200 cc engine soothed my nerves and it was good to be on the move. Riding a big luxury tourer on a bush veld farm road is no joke and I need to concentrate.

LT_Plaaspad03.jpg

Gravel roads and ditches is not the ideal surface for the LT but I have a kilometer of that to
cross whenever I leave my home or return to it.

As I swung into the main road I closed my helmet and the big bike jumped as I twisted the throttle. The familiar deep throated rumble filled the helmet as the engine ran into the torque band and I settled down and leaned into the first bend as I climbed out of the valley. The wind was blowing into the helmet vents and the bike took the twisties without any effort ... always greedy for more juice. Suddenly all the office issues was behind me and the road straightened up to cut across the ridge.

Riding big bikes is in my blood and I have been doing it for 30 years and covered more than 500,000 kms but every time I twist the throttle the thrill is the same. I am a road bike rider and I love it. The off-road riders have other thrills and they enjoy their biking in a different way that the road bikers. For me the sheer power and handling of a sports bike is something I love and it never fails to excite me.

As I approached town I decided to go to Kaapsehoop for a light lunch. I need to go through the center of town to get onto the Kaapsehoop road and I stopped at the red light at El Madre. A flashy Audi TT pulled up next to me and the sound system was at full tilt while the guy behind the wheel looked at me with a very smug look on his face. I can just imagine his thoughts as he turned his head to look at the robot. He was going to teach me a lesson and demonstrate the length of his manhood but suddenly I decided to take the bait and smiled as he revved his engine.

The lights turned green and we took off ... he was so confident and misconstrued my careful power management among all the road markings as a victory for him. Well suffice it to say ... the LT cleared the intersection and as the rear wheel rolled over the last white line I whipped the throttle open wide.

Less than 20 meters and he was staring at the back of my helmet and the LT sucked the air in through the fairing and spewed it out in a low roar at the back ... his TT was no match and I could see him fading in the rear view mirror. At the robot across from The Keg he caught up and was determined to vindicate himself ... most probably thinking that he did not give it all but I just grinned and smiled as he took off like a hooligan. Not many cars on the road can outrun the LT and I am not going to engage him in a childish dice because I know that LT will eat that TT any time of the day.

The dice with the TT brought a strange calmness to my frazzled nerves and I made a mental note to be extra careful today. The off-road riders take many spills in a normal days riding and it is part and parcel of how they do what they do. A road biker cannot chance that. A fall is usually a serious affair and death could easily be part of the damages.

Five minutes later I was out on the open road.

800a_IMG_3759.jpg

This is where the big bikes love to play.

800b_IMG_3764.jpg

Coming out of a bend and the bike eagerly heads for the next one.

800c_IMG_3767.jpg

A view that makes the road biker smile.

800d_IMG_3772.jpg

800e_IMG_3777.jpg

Now this is where the big difference between road bikers and off-road bikers lies. To the road biker open roads is what he want to see and the rush of the wind, the roar of the engine and the adrenaline rush as you lean low into a bend is what makes you ride again and again.

The cool mountain air and the smooth handling of the bike was working together to pump loads of good "medicine" into my overstressed body. Taking the long sweeps in stride and bolting down the straights is what a big bike does best and the LT was in his element. My head was clear and the changing landscape was sucking me into it.

It was good to be alive and I was happy to be in the saddle. In my mind I started flipping through the menu ... trying to imagine what I will have for lunch ...

Then it happened ... as things usually does when you are on the road ...

I am leaning into a bend, eyes fixed straight ahead, trying to see through the cutting and then they are there ... all over the place ... the famous wild horses of Kaapsehoop.

800f_IMG_3782.jpg

It is at moments like this that I really appreciate the LT ... I am in a bend at speed and the bike is leaning low. The horses are suddenly all over the place and without any hesitation I apply the breaks ... softly first to send a message to the wheels that things are not too well up ahead. I feel the response and the big machine comes upright. Now I have better directional control and really apply the breaks hard. I need to reduce speed and I need to do it fast. The marvel of modern technology comes together and the big tourer sinks down as it claws us back from wherever we were to a safe speed.

I weave my way through the little herd, snapping shots as I go and with a wide grin I dropped the camera and twisted the throttle ...

"Lunch is going to be great !!!"

Ok so I am past the horses and the road is open again ...

800g_IMG_3788.jpg

800h_IMG_3791.jpg

800i_IMG_3798.jpg

800j_IMG_3805.jpg

Some more horses.

Suddenly I am up on top of the escarpment and there it is ... Kaapsehoop.

800k_IMG_3808.jpg

800l_IMG_3811.jpg

800m_IMG_3814.jpg

800n_IMG_3818.jpg

Now this place has some of the best pancakes and waffles that I have ever eaten. As you enter Kaapsehoop make sure to drive down past the first little complex on the left ... the Koek en Pan is way down lower.

As I sat down on the deck and looked out over the mountains I felt calm and it a good thing that I took the ride. Now for a road biker your trip is highlighted by the stops you make. Kaapsehoop is a worthy stop. It is almost as if the place was caught in a time warp.

I glanced through the contents of the menu and settled for a Bobotie Pancake.

While I waited for my pancake I took a few shots ...

800p_MG_2986.jpg

800q_MG_4079.jpg

The pancake arrived and I took a few moments to just look at it and try to imagine what it will taste like.

800o_IMG_3810.jpg

I was not disappointed. The meal was great and as I sat back and lit a cigarette I am thinking ...

"Straight back home or the long way round ?"

Wow!

A very lekker report style/photo's there! :cool:

Lekker man!

Keep it coming.

Well the decision was not hard to make ... the trip worked wonders for my frame of mind and "The Long way Round" was an easy choice.

As I rode out of Kaapsehoop and turned left towards Ngodwana I encountered another small herd of wild horses. It is better to give them a wide berth when you go past, a horse can spook easily and two hops and suddenly you don't have that much space left.

800r_IMG_3823.jpg

This area escaped the devastating fires that ripped through the Lowveld and it was great to ride amongst the pines. The sun was a bit awkward now but as a road rider I am used to it.

800s_IMG_3829.jpg

800t_IMG_3837.jpg

I was now dropping down again from the high plateau at Kaapsehoop to the Elands River valley. The road has some lovely sweeps and the bike just took to it with gusto.

800u_IMG_3845.jpg

800v_IMG_3857.jpg

800w_IMG_3863.jpg

800x_IMG_3868.jpg

I am now approaching the the tunnel between Waterval Onder and Waterval Boven. This tunnel is like a formal boundary between the Highveld and the Lowveld. Riding on the N4 once again emphasized so many of the hazards that the road biker needs to take note of. Idiots that overtakes on blind rises, cutting to the oncoming lane as they take the turns to fast, riding right up on your tail if the traffic is slowed down ... just a few of the hazards that can rip a road biker's life out of his body in a flash.

The lunch at Kaapsehoop has contributed greatly to my mind being cleared and I did not play on the N4 ... the road is good and the bike is willing.

800y_IMG_3874.jpg

800z_IMG_3881.jpg

On the section between the tunnel an dthe turnoff to Schoemanskloof I encountered an idiot in Golf that was of the opinion that his little tincan is capable of outrunning and out-cornering a big bike. The sod nearly took me out as I waited behind a truck to get an opportunity to overtake. I gave way so that he could get away and rush to his grave far away from me. At the Schoemanskloof turnoff he nearly smacked a big truck heads-on and I shuddered as I tipped my bike to take a sharp right and off towards Schoemanskloof. It was better to forget about that idiot and enjoy the ride along the escarpment.

800za_IMG_3888.jpg

800zb_IMG_3897.jpg

800zc_IMG_3900.jpg

I was dropping down fast now from the Highbeld into the Lowveld ... crossing two famous little passes ... De Beers Nek and Patata Hoogte.

The sun was sinking and long shadows were beginning to fall over the road. The Schoemanskloof lied in front of me and the road was quiet ... or was it ?

Going down Patata Neck you will see the famous rock "Old Joe" ... this rock periodically repainted to resemble whatever is currently in the news. During the construction of the upgraded route some clever bulldozer operator thought it a good plan to send Old Joe down the cliff ... surprise ... someone had to pay big bucks to get the rock back up to his original place.

800zd_IMG_3904.jpg

Going down this stretch truly brings you back into the Lowveld and pretty soon you will be surrounded by the typical bush of this region. The Schoemanskloof road is a pleasure to ride and the road surface is in excellent condition.

800ze_IMG_3906.jpg

Earlier I mentioned some of the hazards a road biker will face on his travels. Well here is proof of one ... for a start this idiot shot past me on a solid line as I approached a tight bend. He swerved in front of me to avoid oncoming traffic. My first instincts was to catch him and kick his mirror off but I refrained and started pushing him ... he tried very hard to outrun the bike and I had an evil smirk on my face as he went off the road a time or two where he overshot his abilities in cornering.

800zf_IMG_3915.jpg

After this incident I just overtook him and left him dangling in my exhaust fumes because it was clear that he was nowhere near capable of handling that car at that speed and I left him behind before he made a deadly accident that involved people other than him and his passengers.

Riding in the Schoemanskloof is a special occasion and for me as a road biker the scenery and road conditions makes this the ideal place to really enjoy your bike.

800zg_IMG_3919.jpg

800zh_IMG_3924.jpg

As I rejoined the N4 to Nelspruit I was feeling great. This was a great little Lunch Run and once again made me remember why I ride. My rides may not be as stunning and spectacular as some of the off-road rides posted on the forums but I can assure you that I get a lot of fun from mine and they are full of other types of adventures for me.

Now it was time to settle down and abide by the law ... Nelspruit was coming on fast.

As I rode into Nelspruit the welcoming committee was on their post under the big old tree and I had to take a shot of that.

It was a good run for me and I felt a lot better. Now all that remained was to get through the CBD and out to my farm.

800zi_IMG_3933.jpg

800zj_IMG_3936.jpg

800zk_IMG_3946.jpg

800zl_MG_4149.jpg

I hope that you have enjoyed this little run through the Lowveld. For me it was a life saver and I am glad I took the trip. It was a great lunch and a good ride. Oh and BTW ... I do not touch alcohol when I ride ... not a drop.

Enjoy your bikes in whatever environment you choose and make sure to take lots of pictures. The pictures are in the end all that we retain from most of them.

Great read, nice photos.

Liked the top speed on the GPS...  >:D

One day I'll also have a tar-tourer in the stable - we do have some of the best roads and scenery to spend many hours exploring.

Safe riding!

Thank you ... I envy you guys that can take the Dirt Way Around and I am seriously looking at buying me a DS bike. I am looking at all options and at the current time the main issue for me is the height of the bikes. I think being used to really heavy bikes I am pre-occupied with the problem of handling a bike if your feet cannot reach the ground properly.

I will go and ride some of the options in the days to come and see how I cope with that.

Nice one there Colyn, nothing better than riding a bike to clear the head and get thing back into perspective. Yip it's time to expand your horizons.......buy that DS bike and see a whole new world of riding.  ;D

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Colyn, nice to see you enjoy your bike.

Isn't it funny how many okes want to dice you when you stop at a robot next to them? If I see an oke like this I normally give him the run the first robot, next robot when he's really wound up I pretend to dash away, then just casually change into 2nd and cruise.

Nice pic's

How did you take those "in-ride" photo's - lekker to show the road ahead
There's also one with the numberplate in - is that edited in afterwards ?

Thank you very much for your comments ... I have posted a full overview of how I shoot from the saddle here ...

https://forum.tripwired.co.za/index.php?topic=27.0

Poetic stuff! A ride report with an unique accent. Good pictures. Thanks Colyn ;)

Doringboom said:
Poetic stuff! A ride report with an unique accent. Good pictures. Thanks Colyn ;)

Thank you ... what can I say ... I love riding ;)

Great stuff Colyn, noyhing better to clear the mind than a couple of hours in the saddle, and you certainly have the perfect surroundings - well done

Lekker Colyn !! Kaapsehoop brings back some memories ...loved the place, although we only had tea there ..one day we'll go back !!

Heavy day at work today ...reading your report I suddenly feel a lot better as well !!

Thanks man!!

Bliksem that pancake....................  I can almost taste it :)

Fricken nice machine you have there!!  8)

Nice peeechaaas!!

Nicely done Colyn. :thumleft:

How many cops does it take to man a speed-trap? 6 cars under that tree!  :eek:

Latest posts