Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Dwerg

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 900 Scrambler
I've decided on my next money pit. Kayaking! :D

I've done all sorts of paddling and it has always been something I enjoy. Planning to get a tandem kayak, nothing sporty, just a basic jobbie that wife, myself and the dogs can go row around with every now and again, on holiday etc. Not deep sea fishing or white water or anything, just recreational, beer in hand type of stuff.

Can anyone share some insight on which kayak models to look out for/avoid? I was looking at the Vanhunks ones on takealot as a start.

Where to I shop for mounting gear for my car?

Kobus Myburg

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Nice hobby to get into Jaco.

Since the Feel free Nomad single, Epic Getaway tandem and C-kayak single, I finally found the Vagabond suits my needs the best.

They have engineered cut outs on the side which stops you hitting the kayak continuously and make paddling easier. Something that makes the wider kayaks often irritating.

Their design is very streamline and seems uncomfortably narrow, but they are surprisingly stable and easy to balance.

The C-kayak is very affordable, but you get what you pay for. I hated it. The Epic tandem was too heavy, although it paddled quite well.

The Vagabond is fast and that's what you want. When you go paddle, doesn't matter at what speed, you want to cover distance and in doing so take in more scenery. A slow, hard to paddle and crap tracking kayak will make you lose interest very quickly.

Also seriously consider two singles opposed to a tandem. They sound very romantic in the beginning but are heavy and despite them saying you can paddle them 1 up, it's simply no fun. When swambo doesn't want to go, you take yours and you're off. When she wishes to join in the fun, just load the other one as well.

I use Thule racks simply because they're superior to the rest, albeit freakishly expensive. You can also look at Holdfast. You don't need all the fancy kayak specific rack accessories, just gooi them flat on the load bars.

Find out from Thule which footpack serial number your car takes and keep an eye on marketplace for the right one to come along.

IMG_20220804_183551_(3000_x_1688_pixel).jpg

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Good comment from Kobus there!

I have the Legend Nessy, and find it fantastic. But would also like a single to be able to carry to the beach/river and load it on my own when I have no partners to help!

I would also buy secondhand, you get good value for money!

Also use normal load bars on the roof and tie it down with straps👍🏻

subie

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
Maak seker een of ander tyd jy kom paddle Kraalbaai en Churchaven in die somer Dwerg. Baie mooi

Attachments

• CH1.jpg
    CH1.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 1
  • CH2.jpg
    CH2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1

Dwerg

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 900 Scrambler
Great info thanks @Kobus Myburg

Yeah tandem sounds nice but I know my wife is not going to get up at 6 for a paddle and going out by myself on a tandem is not ideal. Thought I’d start with tandem so I don’t have to buy 2 straight away but it sounds like if I go that route, I might end up having to buy two solo’s anyway 🤣

roxenz

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Paddling is fun, when much younger, slicing the Berg River with a K1, or carving the G-spot at Melkbaai on a Kowalski, was my favourite fun stuff to do single. Nowadays I'd have to find a kayak that will fit into the TV room... 😵‍💫

JacquesM

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Hi D

Ek is 'n Vagabond handelaar. Hier is 'n Mazowe (die een vir 2 outjies), 'n Marimba (die vinnige enkel) en 'n Kasai (die een met goeie balans tussen spoed en stabiliteit) as demonstasie-skepe.

Hier by ons is 'n dam waar 'n ou so 600m in die rondte kan roei om hulle te evalueer.

Dit kan sin maak om aldrie te probeer om die besluit makliker te maak. Jy's welkom om hulle almal te kom toetsvaar.

Ek is so naby Robertson.

Old Bugger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
Hi D

Ek is 'n Vagabond handelaar. Hier is 'n Mazowe (die een vir 2 outjies), 'n Marimba (die vinnige enkel) en 'n Kasai (die een met goeie balans tussen spoed en stabiliteit) as demonstasie-skepe.

Hier by ons is 'n dam waar 'n ou so 600m in die rondte kan roei om hulle te evalueer.

Dit kan sin maak om aldrie te probeer om die besluit makliker te maak. Jy's welkom om hulle almal te kom toetsvaar.

Ek is so naby Robertson.
Hi Jacques, is there a "fishing" model?
Best,
OB

JacquesM

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Hi OB.

Many Vagabond singles are available as anglers.

I'll supply details tomorrow.

Cheers

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
I still got my tandem
My ex went out with me on the dam and river but refused to go out in the ocean so I paddled the tandem alone in the ocean
Not ideal but not too bad either

I also got an ‘Ark’ inflatable kayak which I paddled out into the ocean but it was not much fun. Almost got in serious trouble because the wind just grab it like a sail. I was in seriously deep water in no time and had to use all my skill to gradually work my way back to the shore.

It should be awesome in a river but never again on the ocean!!

JacquesM

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
The Vagabond Tsomo, Tarka, Kasai and Marimba models are available as anglers.

They get 2 rod holders, deck rails and an anchor trolley added.

I think the Kasai Angler would be a very good choice because it can do distance, carry a load and is very stable. (Standing on a Kasai is easier than standing on a Marimba).

Attachments

• tsomo-angler-views-real.jpg
    tsomo-angler-views-real.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 0
  • tarka-angler-views-real.jpg
    tarka-angler-views-real.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 0
  • kasai-angler-views-real1.jpg
    kasai-angler-views-real1.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 0
  • marimba-angler-views-real.jpg
    marimba-angler-views-real.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 0

Old Bugger

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
The Vagabond Tsomo, Tarka, Kasai and Marimba models are available as anglers.

They get 2 rod holders, deck rails and an anchor trolley added.

I think the Kasai Angler would be a very good choice because it can do distance, carry a load and is very stable. (Standing on a Kasai is easier than standing on a Marimba).
Thanks Jacques. I will send you a PM 👍
Also thanks @Dwerg for starting the thread & @Kobus Myburg for your input 👍

KiLRoy

Perfekte Balans tussen krag en soepelheid..
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Good comment from Kobus there!

I have the Legend Nessy, and find it fantastic. But would also like a single to be able to carry to the beach/river and load it on my own when I have no partners to help!

I would also buy secondhand, you get good value for money!

Also use normal load bars on the roof and tie it down with straps👍🏻
My research also pointed me to the Nessie. Havent pulled the trigger yet. Trouble figuring out how to transport it

KiLRoy

Perfekte Balans tussen krag en soepelheid..
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Speak to Jacques. He knows his stuff and can source for good prices

shanks

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Good evening Gents
I own an outdoor store in Stilbaai (Stilbaai Adventures) and also sell various brands of kayaks etc. I am also a stockist of Fluid, Vanhunks and Vagabond, so can give a nice comparison on those. If you are interested in the Vagabond, im sure JacquesM could definitely assist you, but if you want to look at any of the others or just want general info, you can contact me. I also resell holfast roofracks and accessories. o82o738566.

chicco

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My wife wanted to try this as well so we borrowed a double kayak and went for a paddle in the harbour. after 20 min my back was killing me and it wasn't fun anymore. She enjoyed it and want to buy one, I'm not to comfortable as it was not suck a great experience because of the back pain. I run 3 times a week and cycle, not super fit but in shape, not sure what the problem can be.