Koës and beyond 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIMMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Nimmo does Koës & beyond

After the EC Bash (the first trip with the 990) I was keen on doing another.  I hoped the Verneukpan trip would materialize but the interest was too little to make it worthwhile.  As a joke I threw this into the Verneukpan planning a ride thread:

Nimmo said:
Gaan dit voorlopig uitstel na 'n latere datum - te veel ouens het dinge aan. Ons kan kyk na Aug / Sept ?
Kom JC en Peter ons ry Koës toe - is mos net entjie verder  :pot:

Both jumped on board before I even had my thinking cap on and as the saying goes “Die koeël was deur die kerk.  :pot:
Step one: WHERE the hell is Koës?  :imaposer:

Lesson one it is XOIS not Koes

After reading ChrisL’s RR I had a fair idea at least. The group that wanted to go started to look more like an Amageza training pack.  :peepwall:

weskus said:
1. Weskus
2. Blinkes
3. Ball & Chain
4. David Santana
5. Anthony Santana
6. Anthony se chommie
7. Jan Lochner - Kawala
8. Whitefish
9. Nimmo
10. JC
11. Parkinhoff
Time was now the enemy and seemed to stand still.
Finally the day arrived and I left a cold Colesberg for Pofadder on Thursday morning travelling alone as per usual.  I had done most of the routes before and made good time.
Colesberg to De Aar:

IMG_4668 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4670 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4672 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

De Aar to Vosburg was a short section tar and when I reached Vosburg I decided to break my usual habit of helmet on till days end and have some breakfast.  What a nice little place to have a breakfast.  I decided just there and then to break habit more often on this trip and really take it more casual.  I was so relaxed I even had a second tea.  After paying a mere R60 for a huge meal I took some photos of the town.

IMG_4675 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4682 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4683 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

While taking this one I could not but help remember the westerns my dad use to love watching with guys falling of the second balcony and being thrown out of windows.  At this stage I was unaware I was soon to be part of a group in which bar fighters lurked.  :peepwall: :lamer:

IMG_4677 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4684 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4686 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4690 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4691 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

The wind was starting to pick up and I hoped I was leaving it behind as I travelled north.  Arriving at Van Wyksvlei I was 6 minutes late for the fuel pumps.  This guys and gals is what you get when you drink tea, if it was a beer I would have been in time.  :patch: :imaposer:

IMG_4693 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I waited out the hour with the normal begging and rift raft that I have now come to expect from Bachus town.  The one would just not let up.  After I properly stripped my m@er for him he comes walking up to me and says: “Ek gee op meneer ek gaan nie meer bedel nie, ek gaan et hier sit dan chat ons maar so rukkie”  :patch:
I mentioned that I had enough friends and sat waiting out the time for the pumps to open in the worst dust storms running through town.  Just as I saw the Koop guys came walik closer my new found friend remarked: “Ek sien meneer  is n stil man, ek like dit – hoe lyk dit met ‘n R2 OF R10”.  :eek7:
In one of Leon Schuster’s movies he gets dressed as a Indian man and koers Callie Knoetze’s m@er – His remarked rang through: “PW Botha says bou die nasie, bou die nasie, hoe de m@er bou mens ‘n nasie met sulke mense”  :pot:

I filled up and left for Kenhardt.

This from past experience is the WORST road, despite 2 graders working on sections it was a pain in the ass.  The wind was something to experience, if would blow in HARD gusts forcing you over the grader’s middelman and making for bad riding. :(

IMG_4694 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4695 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4697 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I reached Kenhardt and filled up.  I still had no detail as to the gravel road to Pofadder and asked one of the local farmers filling up what the road was like and how far it was.  “
I think the road is in a very poor state because of the truck transporting kalk and would guess about 140 – 240 km”.  I had about 2 hours of day time left (calculated on Colesberg) and figured what the hell, let’s see the country.  :thumleft:

Gents this road turned out to be probably the finest road in the whole of South Africa.  It was PROPPERLY fenced in on both sides and I could easily see people doing speed testing on it instead of the N14.  I thought of the draadmakers that made it possible for some fast safe travelling and did GOOD time until I turned onto the R358.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

IMG_4701 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4704 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

IMG_4708 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

This road turned out to be the opposite of what I had just experienced and I only made Pofadder as dark set in.
:-\
IMG_4712 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

I found the Hotel where Weskus had made arrangements and wasn’t long before everyone were there. 

IMG_4714 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr

BoetieBike had issues with a loose wire and soon the panels were of and the fault attended to.  JC’ had broken his sub frame but made a boere plan to support it and it lasted the whole of the trip in the end. 

IMG_4717 by Jean van der Walt, on Flickr