KTM 950 Adventure hesitation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zagser

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
Coming from Welkom this past weekend I was riding in the driving rain, could barely see a few metres before me at times.

At some stage I noticed a slight hesitation when I tried to accelerate, but thought that I was mistaken.
This got worse however as I got closer to home.
The hesitation was not evident during normal riding. I did however notice that when I slowed down for a junction, or one of the many roadworks sections, that it was most evident when the revs would be below 4000 rpm on deceleration in 2nd or 3rd gear, and when I want to speed up again, it would hesitate and then accelerate. Above 4000rpm it would run fine.
So it would seem that running on closed throttle for a short distance slowing down would start this niggle.

My first thought was fuel pump and I was planning on inspecting it in any case before our trip to Baviaans in September.
I have also seen the threads on the ignition contacts and would check those as well, but the symptoms make me believe that it must be something else?

This brings me to either water in the fuel, or something else I am missing...

I read about the carb boots, but there is no back-firing when this happens.

I have also seen the thread where LeCap posted on cleaning the carbs, but to be honest I would like to leave that as a last resort.
Is there a way of checking for water contamination without spending a lot of time taking things apart?

Any constructive ideas/opinions would be appreciated!  :thumleft: