Kykdaar's December roundabout ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Namibia / Cederberge / Lâ??Gulhas / Stilbaai / Baviaans / Transkei / Natal / Gauteng

Work and family commitments means that I seldom get the chance to go on a decent long ride.

December I will get my turn  :drif:

Basically I am planning the trip in 3 parts  â??

Part 1: Namibia
Part 2: Western and South-Western Cape
Part 3: Eastern Cape / Transkei / Natal

I will be joining the 12-19 December run up to Swakop after which I will tackle the rest of my trip. I will only know how many days and how many kiloâ??s are involved once my route is more or less finalised  ;D

I have done a lot of research on the forum, but would like to ask the wise and experienced dogs (Journeyman, Plottie, Davy, etc) for some assistance in some route planning, places to camp (very little info is available on this), road conditions, as well as things to watch out for.

Part 1 Namibia (Walvis Bay to Noordoewer)

At this stage (after hopefully having completed the Desert Run in one piece) I should be in the holiday mood and will be relaxed and taking it easy. For that reason, and as I will also most probably be riding solo, the aim is not to do any hardcore stuff, but to cruise along admiring the scenery in typical Kykdaar style.

It seems that one of two routes can be considered when "going down South". Please help me choose the right one given my requirements. Also please keep in mind that I have never travelled this area before and herefore have no previous experience to draw from.

Option 1:

Day 10: Walvis Bay to �������

Walvis Bay to Solitaire on the C14 is about 230km. Would be ideal to keep riding to Sesriem (who wants to stop after only 200kmâ??s), but have read bad things about their expensive camping and shitty attitude.

Not doing Soussusvlei (too time-consuming with the sunset / sunrise thing).

Would like to do the D707 (everyone raves about it) and eventually end up at Helmeringshausen.

The key here, it seems, is finding a camping spot South of Sesriem before (or in the vicinity of) the D707 turn-off so that that can be done at leisure the following day. Can anyone help with a suggestion here? Plottie / Funicide and Poppipant's recent ride report suggests to stay at a place South of Sesriem called Betta, but I can not find it on Mapsource? ::)

Also, is there a camping spot at Helmeringshuasen itself if I have to stop there?

Day 11: â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦â?¦.to Visrivier Canyon     

The distance from Helmeringhausen to Rosh Pinah is around 280km with not much further to go to the Park itself and hopefully some accommodation in the vicinity. Any suggestions where I can pitch a tent?

Day 12

Cross the border that day, but still unclear at this stage where my overnight stop in the Republic should be. Will probably put a good few Kmâ??s in on this day to shorten the distance to the Cederberge as much as possible.

Option 2 (i.e. the alternative for day 11)

Day 11

Helmeringshausen or Naute Dam Campsite to Ais Ais via Hobas viewpoint (approximately 340km) and then finding some accommodation in the park or within 100km of its vicinity (park could be full due to Desember holidays and no, I am not planning to book ahead â?? do not want to be bound to a rigid schedule). Idea is to relax a little and enjoy the view on this day.

Please take some time to help this confused dog get his planning on track :3some: