KZN - Back to the saddle ride - Ndwedwe -> Harburg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
It’s really REALLY nice to be back in the saddle and riding again, and I was delighted when my old friends and demon and injury support team MadDog and Wannies responded to my planning thread for a short Saturday ride.

I could think of no place I wanted to go to more than the Harburg area, and since neither MadDog or Wannies had been to the Mqeku Gorge, I phoned the farm and Eagle’s View caravan park owner, Ron, and got permission to visit again.

I still had a bit of exploring to do on the farm. Every time I visit I check my GPS track in Google Earth and find myself saying, “now why did we rather not try that track”,  and that gives me an excuse to re-visit – not that you really need an excuse to visit a beautiful place do you?  

The route to get there was up the North side of the Valley of 1000 hills this time. Up through Verulam, round the back of Hazelmere dam to Ndwedwe, down a beautiful long descent to the Mhloti river and westward to Montebelo Mission Hospital.

Local kids and dogs always come to investigate when you stop.

Img_1019.jpg

Microwave towers always have access roads, and good views so we headed up a short track for coffee and to check the lie of the land.

In the background is Nhlangakazi, which is a Shembe religious mountain. Just behind Wannies you can see a track making its way up the mountain.  I was keen to find if we could ride up there, but a local Madala told me that it was “steppies” and put his hand up like the “Heil Hitler” salute to indicate that the steps are quite steep.

Every year the Shembe pilgrims walk barefoot from Matabatule next to Inanda Dam to Nhlangakazi to pray on the mountain.

Img_1023.jpg

From there we past Montebelo Hospital, and into the cane and timber farming area.

When I studied the GPS we were only about  3Km from the Mqeku Gorge, so we decided to see if we could cut out about 30Km of tar and find a back way to the gorge via the timber plantations and cane fields.

Well we got there, and it was fun but hard work. The overnight rains and lack of sun in the forests meant that Mr Mudmonster was wide awake, but we managed to get through to the gorge.

Wannies took this pic of me  and you may notice a bit of sweat in the hair and a look of relief on my face.

Img_1025.jpg

MadDog hanging five on the edge.

Img_1026.jpg

On the top of the Mqeku waterfall, and some photo-ops of MadDog’s bike on the rocks.

Img_1028.jpg

Img_1035.jpg

Img_1036.jpg

This was the road I was keen to see. It is stunning, and probably one of the most beautiful 1km bits of rideable road I have ever had the pleasure of riding.

Img_1039.jpg

Img_1040.jpg

It brings you out here:-

Img_1041.jpg

Img_1042.jpg

From there on tar via Nagle and the Comrades route to Hillcrest to badger Mr Badger for a cup of coffee at Ryder Motorad.

Stunning pics Gunda, good to see you back in the saddle  :thumleft:

Thanks JonW.

I was having a good laugh at my navigation incompetence this morning when I looked at the tracks in Google Earth.

The blue was where we went, but the red would have been so easy (I think) and far shorter, although I suspect we may have been trespassing and may have ended up facing the farmer's shotgun.

A warning: If it's winter, and it's dry, and you end up in a farmer's cane fields or forests on a bike, the farmers are NOT your friends. I think they see bikes as fire starters.

But I guess wrestling with Mr Mudmonster, and whipping his ass for a change is fun !

. . . and the chirp of the day . . .

Gunda: I think we're lost guys. . .
MadDog:  How can we be? We have GPSs !

GEToGorge.jpg

>> For MadDog and Wannies. <<  

That pic I was talking about from a few years ago looking into the valley from Ndwedwe down the road we went down.

I shall from now on think of that spot as "Horny Bull Hill".

To explain: Yesterday we stopped at the top of the hill so I could deflate my tyres a bit for the gravel, and a bull came past us and went absolutely ballistic at one spot. He was tearing up the bank and digging frantically in the wet soil while bellowing like a -err- bull. I suspect a cow in oestrus must have peed at that spot and he was trying to dig a hole and see if he could find her.

*ping* forum vets Noble Steed and Bonova - What else could explain that weird behavior?

DamRide20061007002_post.jpg

Man that looks like a nice ride!!

MadDog, your bike is looking flipping good! Like it!

Another fantastic Gunda ride with understated marketing :)

Thats 2 in a row now that have turned out to be way more of an adventure than the original planning thread revealed.

That was a really great ride with great company. The pace was perfect and I just regret that I never took my camera along. Had I known what fantastic weather we would have and what amazing tracks we were to follow I would have been better prepared...

I just managed to get a couple of shots of the bike on the rocks with my cellphone but they don't look awful so I'll post them up.

Badger, thanks for the great coffee  :thumleft: and hospitality, i'll be back there for sure to test ride something bigger soon ;)

tinusvdb said:
MadDog, your bike is looking flipping good! Like it!

Thanks Tinus  :thumleft:

6340726973_f19149a56b_z.jpg

6341474572_d03b52048f_z.jpg

6341473508_7a14453120_z.jpg

Lekker pics and RR. Well done Peter. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Shot for popping in. :thumleft:

GundaGunda said:
The Badger said:
. . . .

Shot for popping in. :thumleft:

MadDog and I may be XT660Z riders, but you guys at BMW make the best coffee . . .  ;D

Wild dogs get preferential treatment. :thumleft: :3some: :ricky:

GG, I miss riding with you, and these kind of pictures are not helping!

Beautiful, beautiful views.

Looks like a lot more productive then the rainy trip you took us on last time! Great pics

GundaGunda said:
I shall from now on think of that spot as "Horny Bull Hill".

To explain: Yesterday we stopped at the top of the hill so I could deflate my tyres a bit for the gravel, and a bull came past us and went absolutely ballistic at one spot. He was tearing up the bank and digging frantically in the wet soil while bellowing like a -err- bull. I suspect a cow in oestrus must have peed at that spot and he was trying to dig a hole and see if he could find her.

*ping* forum vets Noble Steed and Bonova - What else could explain that weird behavior?

DamRide20061007002_post.jpg

Apart from lady issues, rabies always a risk in rural KZN areas whenever an animals brain seems not quite right...

JonW said:
Stunning pics Gunda, good to see you back in the saddle  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

roxenz said:
GG, I miss riding with you, and these kind of pictures are not helping!

Beautiful, beautiful views.

I miss riding with you as well A.  :(

I miss having a geologist on the ride to explain the difference between Boudinage and Faulting, and to explain the geomorphology of those beautiful views. . . . .