KZN IMPENDLE Sun 4 Nov

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
Weather looks like it will be good next Sunday, so how about a ride out at Impendle for the day?

The ride will be divided into 3 distinct sections:

Firstly the Impendle Nature Reserve loop

This section was used as a Red Route at the recent Alfie Cox festival. It is 26km long, is very scenic and is not a very difficult section. It does have a couple of tricky sections where it drops down into the valley and then climbs out the other side, but nothing too scary.
DSC03453.jpg

Second is the section I called "Impendle Tecnical" in a recent ride report;
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=108410.0
Well the good news is that it is only 10km long, and it is really not that technical, just a few rocks to ride around/over.
DSC03651.jpg

Then lastly is the Umgeni Vlei section

This section is 33km long and really is very special. I found it this morning for the first time and it was fantastic. It is not very technical, mainly track and twee spoor, but the scenery is mindblowing. This morning while riding this route I came across a small herd of 5 Eland. Man what a sight as they galloped along next to the track in front of me.
We will only do this section if there is enough time left and if there are not too many people as it is quite a sensitive area, so let's play it by ear.

I would suggest meeting at X Ways in Hilton (mainly because it's just round the corner from me), but also because to get to Impendle you go out past Midmar. If anyone is coming from anywhere other than Pmb, let me know where it's convenient for you to meet and we can leave from there.

I would like to leave as early as possible, but again, if guys are coming from far away you might not be able to get to Pmb too early, so whatever time suits everyone is fine as long as we don't get away too late.

The total route is approx 220km and there is NO fuel available along the way, so on my XR I might be cutting it a bit fine.

Edit:

There is a place to get fuel in Impendle, not on the route, but we can stop there if anyone needs  ;)