KZN - Whats a reasonable time for Sani trip weekend 19 - 20 May?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whats a reasonable time Hillcrest-Sani-Return?

• 7 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 hours

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 10 hours

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • take your time and enjoy the ride

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • why not make this a 2 day ride?

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

zacapa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Been wondering a bit about Sani Pass these last few days. You get to read a bunch of ride reports on WD proclaiming the toughness of Sani
explicitly illustrated with much pics of fallovers, broken bikes etc. and how tough it was. Somehow this doesn't make any sense to me.
Been there 9 years ago on a F 650 Dakar and while the ride up was moderately challenging it was at the time much like a ride in a park ie.
no great obstacles were encountered en route. Granted, conditions may have deteriorated a bit since then and the pass may now be a bit
of a challenge?? So now i am scheming :pot:  - to take a leisurely cruise to Himeville area, 2 hours from here my gps reckons, munch an
energy bar or two and slow down a bit for the way up enjoying vistas and border formalities should see me up Sani in about 3.5 hours from
time of departure. Spend an hour on top and 3.5 on the way back. That's 8 hours in all so if i leave at 06h00 i'll be back at 2pm. That's a lekka
1/2 days ride.
About to happen in the next few weeks on a Sunday (13, 20 or 27th) weather permitting. Tools of the trade will be my trusty XR650L, spare tube, tools,
munchies, rehydration material, warm clothing in case it's needed, passport, a few cableties and possibly a space blanket.
Maybe i am overplanning at this stage, who knows?

Anyone keen?  Max. 5 ..... bikes travelling there and back.
Date: Saturday 19May - to be confirmed
Difficulty: Easy to Moderate by experienced rider standards.
Target Group: Any offroad worthy 2 wheeler less than 190 kg (160kg previously) with a full tank.

Anyway, Thats my plan for the month of May. If all goes according to plan and the weather is good may also extend the itinerary to do this over 2 days,
camping at Molumong station (Or Sani Top), a backpackers with basic facilities, about 70k's further than Sani Top, an old mission station.
Note: The limit has now been drawn at 190kg with a full tank so that should exclude any 800's, 1200's and BMW Sertaos
pics of the last trip 9 years ago:

UPDATE: AS PER POST ON PAGE 2 - THE ONE WITH THE PIC IN IT

Attachments

• Lesotho11.jpg
    Lesotho11.jpg
    60.7 KB
  • Lesotho13.jpg
    Lesotho13.jpg
    55.4 KB