LandCruiser 76 actual Fuel Consumption (the 4.5 V8 job)

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Stofdonkie says going up to Upington for business on tar driving 100-110 he gets easy 8+ on his 4.2 stationwagon.
Poddling around in the Tankwa 9+.
Loaded keeping at 120 it drops to 7 ish. He says it the best vehicle he has ever owned and he has had a lot. Previous dustcar was a V6 Prado 3.5. Loved it but fuel consumption was bad.

Roadhawg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Stofdonkie says going up to Upington for business on tar driving 100-110 he gets easy 8+ on his 4.2 stationwagon.
Loaded keeping at 120 it drops to 7 ish. He says it the best vehicle he has ever owned and he has had a lot. Previous dustcar was a V6 Prado 3.5. Loved it but fuel consumption was bad.
Is that L/100 or km/L?

I'm a L/100 guy hahha Apparently i'm alone in this.

Sorry, reading properly it's obviously Km/L

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
I think you okes must come learn me how to drive.....

dirt rat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
My single cab 4.2 is consistent at 13.5l per 100km
That is 7.4 km per liter.

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
My single cab 4.2 is consistent at 13.5l per 100km
That is 7.4 km per liter.
Yah but remember bud, you need power to burn diesel, something the 4.2 dont have 🤪

Do you also pack yourself lunch for halfway, when going 100km out of town :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dirt rat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
The 4.2 is not slow - the design of the vehicle is what makes it slow.

JacquesM

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
the 4.2 is slow, very slow.

Dis nogal so.

As jy na-oorlogse ghries aan die assie sit, met 2 flukse donkies voor die karretjie, dan wen hulle 'n ding met 'n 1HZ-enjin.

Ek weet, ek het 2. (1HZ'e, nie donkies nie).

Last edited:

thabogrobler

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR200
Nee magtag kerels, waar en hoe kry mens die geduld om 100-110 te ry?

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Something to think about.

I have spoken to two different Tuners. Both told me that the V8 do not make 150kw like Toyota claims. Both are talking of 130kw on engine and around 108kw on the wheels.
This is from guys doing Cruiser Dyno's everyday.

So it is even more down tuned than everyone think, and the reason why a normal ECU flash see huge gains.

This is on a standard 4.5 V8.

Just some useless info.

Carry on boys.....

dirt rat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
The fact is that 79 series cruisers were never designed to be fast.
They were designed to be good on bad roads.
Over 150km per hour they are like brick shithouses and best you pray that you don't have to swerve or brake suddenly.

BuRP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
I have 2014 76 V8 Turbo Diesel. Fuel consumption is consistent at around 12.6 l/100km, or 7.9km/L at 120. Slightly oversize tyres so speedo reads exactly what the GPS speed reflects. Vehicle has been chipped though and is fitted with a 76mm De Graaf pipe.

@Roadhawg , read above - I get a little better figure with my 79 DC V8 but I've done a bit more on top of what Jughead mentions (better RH-bank feedpipe to turbo, improved turbo intake side and Armax snorkel, higher 5th-gear ratio in gearbox with on top of all Boosttech mapping with an EGR-delete). If driven normal (that's moderately for you because of all the torque&power on tap!) then the consumption is really not bad.
A stockstandard V8 will return in the 6 kilometers per liter irrespective of what you do with it, or worse if you venture in dunes.

Compared to the 4.5 V8, the 4.2 is slow, very slow.

Yay & Nay - Yay when compoared to the V8, Nay when on the highway, where it cruises with the rest of them!
Consumption-wise it again is horrendous in stock form, but without intake-restrictor and some other minor things (freeflow exhaust & electric fan) it becomes more eager (yeah, some will call this a misnomer - but again, do not compare to the V8) as well as frugal, I get figures now around 9km/L with my Troopy.... in town and on the accompanying highways, it's my daily drive now.
Sure, if you scream it in every gear (a nonsensical thing to do with the 1HZ engine...) then yeah, you'll be seconds quicker (WOW hmm?) but the consumption goes way up! Some do this yes, but this engine loves its lazy-torque nature to be used, it actually pulls from below 1000rpm!

The V8 does this too but not as much as the 1HZ does, but it willingly purrs through town at really lazy rpm's... which will pick up hastily if you put your foot down, without any baulking smoke or other wrong signs if the engine is tuned properly - and here a warning, no wait, a WARNING: there's lots of paluka's out there who will sell you a map which will let the motor storm wildly, at cost of heaps of fuel and loadsa smoke which will foul your intake & turbo no end, with the result of shortlived-only happiness....
Don't ask how I know this, but now all is fine and will be for a looooong time to come, it's a Cruiser after all! (y)

BuRP

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650R
On this all, let me add that I have a "Race Chip" chip for the V8 for those who do not want to have their ECU flashed!
I've used it - it works well, is a German brand (silly name so btw) and works in harmony with the std ECU - but have taken it off as I prefer the Boosttech map.
Boxed with all the gubbins, let me know if someone wants it - it can be plugged in in 5 minutes, and removed again in the same time.

dirt rat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Burp please tell more about the mods on the 4.2 to get to 9km per liter.

Latest posts