Lane sharing/spliting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruans

Pack Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ok so all the people I see commuting lane splits. I do the same in stand still or slow traffic. Seldom at higher speeds on the highway but, since when has people in cages started doing the same?
The last few days I have had two try do this and I am trying my best not to strip my moer.

Let me paint the scenario:

Traveling on a highway at about 110km/h. Want to go faster but, we have the typical right lane hogger so I am keeping a safe following distance till I can overtake when they move over. Riding slightly to the left of the right lane to see what the traffic is doing up ahead and trying to stay in the view of right lane hogger's mirror view.
Suddenly see something right behind my helmet and see a car trying to overtake me in the lane I am riding in. Take evasive action and ride on the line. Flip my hand up to voice my displeasure and now I am in even more danger. Like what are my options here. Let it go and it become the norm? Do I put myself in danger by blocking the cager? Do I claim a mirror? Do I follow him and take a wee when he opens his window?

I don't actually want answers to the above but, just frustrated that in the years of riding bike in Gauteng and Slaap stad, I have never had this and now, in one week I have had it twice. Scares the crap out of me every time. The startle affect really revs me up.

At this point I feel safer just gunning it and lane splitting at highway speeds because there is a clear lack of understanding/eyesight/care/IQ on the roads.