Learning photography

GundaGunda

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
The Umhlanga whale-bone pier is a bit over-photographed, but tried an early morning shot.

Attachments

• 20220313_Umhlanga-005d.jpg
    20220313_Umhlanga-005d.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 27

GundaGunda

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
. . . on the topic of low-key -

Sorry, I don't have any bikes to photograph anymore  :(

Attachments

• 20220220_Nom-064.jpg
    20220220_Nom-064.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 19

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Sadly after many years a interest in photography I have totally lost my mojo.
What I have done previously in order to try and spark it back up was buying new lenses.
The last lens was rather expensive and an absolute amazing lens; Fuji 56 1.2mm
However, dis not even shoot more than 50 pictures and packed it away.
Everyday in my work bag, yet I did not use it once and my 16mm 2.8 is mounted which makes it perfect for agri photography.
I even got permission to use it at work.

So I was thinking about what went wrong, yet I can’t tell since I keen an eye on others good photos and absolutely love it.
I will hold onto my gear, maybe one day I will miss it enough to start all over again.

Don’t know if my situation is unique, maybe someone else may also find him or herself in a ‘dead period.

Anyhow, for those of you that still got it going, here is an adorable picture or two taken by the ‘baby photographer’
Just awesome

Attachments

• 4C2A3981-2105-4B24-9D7E-C9AC804DC823.jpeg
    4C2A3981-2105-4B24-9D7E-C9AC804DC823.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 0
  • B0AD9632-0FF7-4E93-B9B1-ABFA86AC1113.jpeg
    B0AD9632-0FF7-4E93-B9B1-ABFA86AC1113.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 0

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Hi Tom
I was a full time photographer for 10y before I lost my passion for it. Many reasons as some might know here already.
Slowly but surely I am getting back into it with Rugby, Hockey and Wildlife Photos again.

So much so that I am going to do photos and video in the Kruger for 5 days next week for a customer.

I must say I have watched a lot of websites and YouTube stuff that made me excited again.

So the best is to get yourself to work towards a certain goal. GOOD LUCK

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Hi Tom
I was a full time photographer for 10y before I lost my passion for it. Many reasons as some might know here already.
Slowly but surely I am getting back into it with Rugby, Hockey and Wildlife Photos again.

So much so that I am going to do photos and video in the Kruger for 5 days next week for a customer.

I must say I have watched a lot of websites and YouTube stuff that made me excited again.

So the best is to get yourself to work towards a certain goal. GOOD LUCK
Sounds exciting, enjoy!!

GundaGunda

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
. . .

So I was thinking about what went wrong, yet I can’t tell since I keen an eye on others good photos and absolutely love it.
I will hold onto my gear, maybe one day I will miss it enough to start all over again.

. . . .

I think you can get stuck in many ruts, and photography is no exception.

I have had quite a few 'downs' - especially with the Camera Club. You enter some pics, the judges marks them down, and it is hard to pick up the camera and go out shooting again.

But, even though being a member of a club is not for everyone, I find the Club keeps me motivated. Each month we have an outing that I always look forward to, and each month we have a set topic to get us thinking.

A little example. . . The topic for May is "bridges". What do I do?

Now we have two bridges over the Mgeni river. I wonder if there is a vantage point where I can get both bridges in a shot against the sunrise. I check out Google Earth and see a spot with potential. I check the maps and there is a guest house near the spot, but they don't answer the phone. So my friend Heidi and I go to find them.

As we are snooping a car pulls up. I ask the guy where the guest house is 'cos we want to take photos. He does not know, but he says he has a great view and we are welcome to come and take pics. His house and view are spectacular, and he is fascinated by our cameras. His teenage kids watch us and ask many questions - The home-owner is a doc who teaches at UKZN Med School.

But the light is awful, but we have an invite to go back when better - A nice new photographic friend and a project.

And in May the club goes to the Berg. Already I am researching mountain photography and thinking the shots. . .

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
I think you can get stuck in many ruts, and photography is no exception.

I have had quite a few 'downs' - especially with the Camera Club. You enter some pics, the judges marks them down, and it is hard to pick up the camera and go out shooting again.

But, even though being a member of a club is not for everyone, I find the Club keeps me motivated. Each month we have an outing that I always look forward to, and each month we have a set topic to get us thinking.

A little example. . . The topic for May is "bridges". What do I do?

Now we have two bridges over the Mgeni river. I wonder if there is a vantage point where I can get both bridges in a shot against the sunrise. I check out Google Earth and see a spot with potential. I check the maps and there is a guest house near the spot, but they don't answer the phone. So my friend Heidi and I go to find them.

As we are snooping a car pulls up. I ask the guy where the guest house is 'cos we want to take photos. He does not know, but he says he has a great view and we are welcome to come and take pics. His house and view are spectacular, and he is fascinated by our cameras. His teenage kids watch us and ask many questions - The home-owner is a doc who teaches at UKZN Med School.

But the light is awful, but we have an invite to go back when better - A nice new photographic friend and a project.

And in May the club goes to the Berg. Already I am researching mountain photography and thinking the shots. . .
A W E S O M E - Can't wait to see the end results

Malibu

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Somewhere between South Africa, England and ??
Bike
Matchless (all models)
Hi guys,
Back in SA for a bit and enjoying the Fuji system I have at the moment. All my other stuff is in Germany.
Did a photoshoot today with some amazing horses, enjoying editing again. Also went through the "no interest" phase, but I think I'm coming out the other side again...

Tom van Brits

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Hi guys,
Back in SA for a bit and enjoying the Fuji system I have at the moment. All my other stuff is in Germany.
Did a photoshoot today with some amazing horses, enjoying editing again. Also went through the "no interest" phase, but I think I'm coming out the other side again...
You can’t be serious!
With your excellent photographic and editing skills you better keep going please!

Malibu

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Somewhere between South Africa, England and ??
Bike
Matchless (all models)
You can’t be serious!
With your excellent photographic and editing skills you better keep going please!
Thanks Tom. I think i was so accustomed to sharing the hobby, that when alone over the last few years, I guess I missed the fun of doing this with others. No club, no gang... Anyway. 😁

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
I have been to the Kruger the last 6 days. Will share some STUNNING images soon. Was a huge learning curve for me to do video with a Canon 5Diii and Manual Focus.
I thought I knew photography well as a professional. But you learn everyday

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
I have shared some on another thread in Photography. But here are a few

Attachments

• KS__3384.jpg
    KS__3384.jpg
    755.9 KB · Views: 0
  • KS__3474.jpg