LED Light-bar for GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazy-eyes

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
*I had this on a previous thread but because I have gone through an interesting learning-curve I thought I'd put it all in one post.*

LED Light-bar for a GS

I came up with an idea to put a central LED Light-bar on my GS, instead of going the twin spots (one on each side) route.
Having things hang off the side doesn't appeal to me visually, and the space directly below the main headlight just seemed like the obvious place to put such a light-bar as you get the spotlight as high as possible, and in doing so increasing the throw of the light.

Also, if this project could be pulled off successfully, the light would blend in with the light cluster and go totally unnoticed until switched on.

It seems that few people have tried this and no one could really give me pointers, so it was a bit of a trial and error process to get the result I was looking for, but I'm happy to say, I did get that result and it works beautifully!

light number 1:

Output: 8 watt
LED's: six LED's
Price: R430

Fitment was with cable-ties because I wanted to test the set-up before making it permanent. It worked reasonably well and the cars parted before me like the sea before Moses, but the light was broad and close, ie. a floodlight, not a spotlight. I wanted more, so I went and exchanged it for a higher output spotlight.

light number 2:

Output: 15 watt
LED's: Two LED's
Price: R510

I really liked the size of the first light because it was slim and sat under the main headlight without obstructing airflow to the oil-cooler, but as mentioned, it was useless as a spotlight. The next light I got was a spotlight with two high powered focussed spots, but with a very large casing.
The Wattage was now up from 8w to 15w.
It worked pretty well and cast a beam to my satisfaction, but still I was not 100% happy with the look, and I also noticed a slight increase in running temperature of the bike, which was to be expected with this bulky light. So I went and exchanged the light again.

(as with the first light, fitment was a temporary set-up)

light number 3:

Output: 30 watt
LED's: Six LED's
Price: R930

SUCCESS!

I now went for a much more expensive 30 Watt light-bar. Unlike the first one which was a floodlight, this one was a spotlight with a focussed beam. The size was perfect too and it slotted in under the metal tube below the headlight, but left ample space below it for airflow to the oil-cooler.
I knew this was going to be the one, so I set about doing a permanent installation.

Result:
This light works really really well!
It literally hurts my eyes when it reflects off the back of nearby cars in traffic. This was the light I was looking for.
When I now switch off high-beam and only low-beam is on, it gets so dark it actually feels like only the parklight is on - It's scary how useless the original low-beam is by comparison.

I actually feel guilty because on the test run a lot of motorists reached for the dimmer on their rear-view mirrors, but then again, apart from excellent lighting for me to be able to see better at night, my aim of also being more visible to motorists was definitely achieved.
note: despite obviously being very visible to motorists from behind, no oncoming cars flashed me, which is a good thing since I don't want to blind people either.

Source / shop:
I Bought this light at the Bruma China Mall, at the shop immediately on your right as you go up the escalator.
The owner was very helpful in my quest for the perfect light, and let me exchange/upgrade every time without hassle.

Wiring:
I used a relay that is activated off the existing high-beam switch on the handlebar - I didn't want another switch on the bars, and wanted the light to come on only when high-beam was selected, or not at all.

The wiring diagram below was made with the help of AMZ on the forum.

For those who were wondering, on a 2004 GS the "power from high-beam" is taken off the white/centre wire on the harness that goes into the headlight unit.

:)