LED "UPGRADE"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Read a post somewhere about a 1190 owner wanting to do a LED headlight upgrade , In most cases the Cyclops kit was suggested , but at $250 plus shipping and duty thought it way to expensive , and put it out of my mind .
Bored over the weekend I visited my local China centre , to kill some time and saw they had a big selection of LED kits , some budget and some better . I chose a set with drivers , as I am aware that the 1190 is canbus sensitive , I hoped these will work . got home , stripped the bike , removed head light , out with the bulbs , fitted the NEW led ones , plugged in to harness , turned on the lights and happiness they work , and no fault code . was about to start refitting everything, when I decided to do a final on of test run . Found that the one units cooling fan did not turn on when the light was turned on , bummer ! did not want to take a chance with overheating the housing , so removed the leds , and went back to the Centre to exchange . Replaced no problem , while there we checked that the fans come on , working . back home , refitted everything , plugged in , turn on the lights and .....
ERRRRROOR
Seems that the non working fan created enough resistance to not pull a low voltage fault . So now I will have to fit resistors . Removed the LED units , fitted globes back , re assembled the bike , So this week I need to find resistors . And try again . resistor set about R150.00 and the LED KIT was R260.00 .
I see this as a experiment , so not spending big on the idea , 400 bucks is not bad , to do a upgrade . set of spots is way more .