Lets Talk Range Finders

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Lear300

Race Dog
Reaction score
Cross purpose, i.e. for sport shooting and for hunting.

Leupold have a great offering in the RX 1400i TBR/W for about 5K depending where you shop. The RX1600i is double the price.

What experience do you have with range finders, and other than Leupold, what good entry level units would you recommend, taking into account that I doubt the need to range a deer further than 900yds,

whitedelight

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Apply the golden rule. Take what they say it can range and half that.
I am looking as well, seriously thinking about the Vortex HD4000

Just_Plain_Dan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
For any sort of long range application, laser is the way to go.
I use a SigSauer bdx 3000 bino range finder combo. It has the ballistic solver onboard. So if you set it up correctly, you range with the bino and your shooting sollution is displayed in the bino aswell. For a hunting setup it work brilliantly.

Just_Plain_Dan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
It can also connect to bluetooth scopes, or in my case my garmin watch which has applied ballistics on. So if someone else ranges for me my shooting sollution is displayed on my watch

whitedelight

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I use a SigSauer bdx 3000 bino range finder combo. It has the ballistic solver onboard. So if you set it up correctly, you range with the bino and your shooting sollution is displayed in the bino aswell. For a hunting setup it work brilliantly.
What sort of ranges you getting with that? I like that option,just a little out of my budget

Just_Plain_Dan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
In a perfect world you should be able to reach 4500m
Furthest I have ranged is 3600m

Lear300

Race Dog
Reaction score
May I ask what that cost? I fear a little or lot more than my budget will allow

MonkeyNot

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Apply the golden rule. Take what they say it can range and half that.
I am looking as well, seriously thinking about the Vortex HD4000
Jip.... paid my school fees on this one and had to buy a new one with longer range

Tman21

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Bajaj (all models)
Sell all scopes and rings, buy the Sphur and the Zeiss auto range finding scope. (70k ish)

I saw it in action on my first hunt. Personally feel its a bit like cheating but whowee!

Just_Plain_Dan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Sell all scopes and rings, buy the Sphur and the Zeiss auto range finding scope. (70k ish)

I saw it in action on my first hunt. Personally feel its a bit like cheating but whowee!
Its a nice setup for sure... but I have seen it lose its dope on a hunt, and that was a serious f-up for the owner. Basically turned his long range trip into a 200m max shooting weekend.
I much prefer having the RF and ballistic solver seperate from the scope. If something decides to stop working, you still have many options to keep shooting

Just_Plain_Dan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Quite pricey but it works a charm. If you shoot alot and you shoot big calibers, with the current cost of reloading components I reckon it pays for itself quite quickly