Life in America - We made the move.

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
According to NOAA there aren't enough commonly used names that start with those letters.

Sorry Quentin, Ursula, Xavier, Yolanda, and Zachary. 😂

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
I spent the day fighting fires at the shop, figuratively not literally.

We had no power, but I was able to procure enough extension cords that we could get power from the next-door building (that we also own and is on a different grid and is only used for storage) to power up the computers and internet hub. The temp inside the shop rose steadily during the morning, but a couple of fans helped.

We mainly concentrated on people that had no water to their homes because their pumps had drowned in the flooding, or trees has hit the external pies, etc. I worked it like I worked triage as a paramedic, getting to the most urgent first...

By mid-afternoon the power company had repaired the lines and we had power back! The AC was very appreciated. And by 5pm we had cleared all the emergencies and everyone that had called us was back in water.

Then the real work started for me. Today wasn't just month-end, but also payroll... so I had tto get the inventory (stock-take) done, as well as get all the final numbers from my office manager from Quick books. Then I had to sit and make sure that each and every tech was getting paid the correct commission for each and every line item that they had invoiced in the last two weeks. When I had those numbers I had to send them off to Corporate HQ in Illinois, and then double-check the revenue statement for the month, and send that off as well as the inventory numbers.

But I'm getting better at it, we closed at 5, I got the numbers at 5:10, and I was done by 6:10. Home by 6:45. Earliest so far!

Dinner was a lovely pork rib that Mrs Zog had in the slow cooker all day with mash and coleslaw. Now a rum & coke, then early to bed because tomorrow I start the cleanup out in the yard...

Thanks for reading!

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Excellent news in terms of what it it could have been.

Skaiidawg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
According to NOAA there aren't enough commonly used names that start with those letters.

Sorry Quentin, Ursula, Xavier, Yolanda, and Zachary. 😂
Thanks for the explanation.
Funny, all those letters are in my family

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hi Zogs,

Despite my chirps, I look at the devastation and struggle to comprehend how people cope with the destruction of everything they owned in life, all there memories all they have worked for, sure insurance covers stuff but it cannot replace all those memories. :oops:

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
You know, despite all of this, I would rather live here, where we get hurricanes.

We know that a hurricane is coming for days before it gets here. We can prepare, or evacuate, depending on the severity. It's a (somewhat) known entity. We can get into the car and leave.

Look at the Midwest, where @Tom van Brits is... you get devastating tornadoes with little to no notice. We get tornadoes here, too, occasionally, but they are very short-lived (on the order of seconds) and not nearly as severe or big. The odd waterspout.

On the West Coast - California, Oregon, etc. - earthquakes. Wildfires. Mudslides.

Hawaii - do we all remember the volcanic eruptions a couple of years ago? "Lava bombs" and all that? Tsunamis?

Other places have flooding, blizzards, and even Canada doesn't seem to exempt from hurricanes now.

No, seriously, I'll take Florida and approaching hurricanes with a week's warning ahead of time. I don't think there are many places in the word where people are safe from nature.

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
It never ends.

I mean, it just never fucking ends... :mad:

Before I get into why I'm so pissed off again, here is a pic of the broken power cables on the pole just outside our shop. This was the cause of us not having power half of Friday.

PXL_20220930_115557108.jpg

I dunno how that happened, but they were there and fixed it and we had power again around 1:30 pm.

So back to the weekend...

Saturday morning I started the clean up. Cut away the broken bits of the orange tree, dragged it all out to the street for removal by the City. Then picked up all the bigger broken branches and took them outside as well. Re-tied the guava tree. Picked up all the dog shit, and finally, mowed the lawn. Except for outside in the deepest part of the ditch where it is still several inches deep water and just black with tadpoles!

Took my Colorado bakkie for a carwash as it was really dirty from all the blown-on debris and a bunch of birdshit as well. It's the first time I have actually utilised a proper carwash in this country. So I'll explain; First you choose what kind of wash you want, what level of cleanliness and added protection (polishes and coatings etc). Then you pop your credit card into the machine, it spits out a receipt, and you drive into the "tunnel" where the wash is completely automated. As you exit the tunnel (within 60 seconds) some really strong blowers dry the car.

Then you pull forward into a vacuum bay where you can vacuum your car, and they have complimentary cloths and cleaner for you to clean the windows and dry in the areas where the blowers didn't get to. I spent quite a bit of time cleaning the bakkie in the hard-to-reach places, and vacuumed it out really well. I set high standards, and they were reached. It felt so good to drive the bakkie home with it being that clean!

Back home I parked the bakkie and took Mrs Zog's car for the same treatment. Only hers took three times as long as her car had algae growing inside the door cavities (between where the doors end and the door rubbers begin) and I had to get them all properly cleaned out. I used several of the rags supplied until I was happy that her car was as clean as my bakkie.

Back home I finally relaxed.

Sunday morning I went out to the butcher shop that I usually got our meat from because the freezer is empty.

Fuck.

They are closing down, going out of business. Big sign outside, 25% of everything. So I went inside, and they had NO fresh meat at all. Almost bare shelves, and just a little meat left in a freezer. BUT... the meat in the freezer had some lamb inside! The lamb was marked down to $5.99 / lb, and at that price it was cheaper than the cheap pork sausages we get at the supermarket! I got a bit of lamb roast, a couple of lamb shanks, and a leg of lamb for roasting on Thanksgiving. Plus, I also got 25% off that price at the till, so I got a stash of lamb for less than what we usually pay for pork or chicken! Bargain!

Sitting in the Florida room I noticed a whole lot of bugs buzzing around the squirrel box in the tree. I went closer and saw that it was a swarm of bees that had moved into the squirrel box. Fuckit. Not good. We all know that Sammy finds bees very tasty, and invariably ends up getting stung on the lip with much wailing and crying and gnashing of teeth... not to mention that the squirrel box is directly above the garden shed where I keep my mower and stuff, and where the squirrel food is kept, so a LOT of movement in and out there every day.

The last thing we need is a bee hive that decides to get aggro and sting whoever goes into the shed. That would not be good at all. So we googled a bee removal service, got on the phone, and spoke to a guy who was very knowledgeable. Bottom line is, the bees have only been there a day or so, I would have noticed had they been there longer. Probably displaced because of the hurricane. Time was of the essence, if the bees were to be relocated alive, as opposed to just exterminated. The dude was here within 20 minutes.

PXL_20221002_195853117.jpg

PXL_20221002_200610656.jpg

Dude put on his fancy jacket with a bee-proof hat and face shield, went up the ladder and put a bit of duct tape over the entrance of the (now) hive. Then he unscrewed the squirrel house from the tree and took it down with the bees inside. Put that all inside his truck, I wrote him a check for $125, and off he went.

PXL_20221002_201116631.jpg

PXL_20221002_201714957.jpg

So now we have a tree that is not only bee free, but also squirrel box free.

PXL_20221002_201948071.jpg

So what does a SAFFER do when he is pissed off about spending $125 that he doesn't have?

Onsfokkenbraai. :cool:

Beer and cheese brats, and steak.

PXL_20221002_221605129.jpg

PXL_20221002_221608237.jpg

Of course there had to be quality control done by the braaier, and his faithful hounds..

PXL_20221002_221626754.jpg

and liquid refreshment, rum & coke ;)

Mrs Zog cooked some lovely fresh asparagus, made some oven fries, and a lekker gravy for the fries. Yum yum!PXL_20221002_222926440.jpg

Right. Back to work tomorrow. Y'all have a wonderful week!

Cheers!

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
URGENT

We have a new (totally unrelated swarm) moving into a hollow tree branch. (It's not stragglers from yesterday, because they are building into the tree trunk). Apparently October is when they are most active.

The bee guy wants another $135 to remove them. We don't have that right now. We just don't.

Does anyone here know anything about bees? How can we remove them? We would hate to kill them, but they have to go. Sammy got stung three times already.

Right now it looks like Mr. Zog, a HazMat suit, and a can of Doom with the ShopVac.

Please, help!

PXL_20221003_201239383.jpg

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
It's probably a swarm that got displaced by the hurricane 🌀

Would I?

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
Sorry some of the bees are going to die, spray the swarm and the area down with turpentine, that does chase them away. Paint it on the area when they are gone as well to discourage them.

Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Simple
We have done it a lot in the fire brigade
You take normal gasoline and go there during the night and spray in the very close vicinity of the bees like around there new spot.
Bees sleep during the night and are not at all active
Tomorrow morn they all will be gone

I have been tasked to do this also in Moma Mozambique on medical contract and the client’s were amazed

Trust me, it never failed me.

tok-tokkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
They are there because the queen is there. The queen is what the swarm forms around. Where she goes is where the swarm goes. So Tom van Brits' method has always made the queen move taking the swarm with her.

Fudmucker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS

CruiserBMW

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
If you can use a lots of rags and a smoker then you can smoke them away without harming them and afterwards spray diesel on the tree they don’t like that smell

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
So I found this video of the storm surge in Fort Myers beach.

It shocked me. Only 2.5 minutes long, but I think it will give you all a good idea of what storm surge actually is. To give you some perspective; we live around 8 - 10 miles from the ocean, but according to google earth, we are only around 16 feet above sea level. Yes, Florida is THAT flat. I can only imagine how far inland this water went. And there is no stopping the ocean when it rises 15 feet and heads inland. The devastation is complete. Death toll is fast heading to over 100. :cry:

I also took care of the swarm of bees.

When I got home I assessed the situation, and rigged a 10 foot extension on my shop vac.

IMG-20221004-WA0007.jpg

Then I waited until it got dark so the bees would be less aggressive. Sorry for the grainy pics, the light was very low.

IMG-20221004-WA0008.jpg

All dressed up and kinda hoping that this wouldn't be the last pic of me.

IMG-20221004-WA0006.jpg

Concentrating...

IMG-20221004-WA0009.jpg

It all went perfectly. Sucked the bees up without them even swarming around, no problem at all.

Bee-gone!

I wish I could have gotten a professional to remove them and relocate them, but I just do not have another $125 - $150 lying around. Between the extra stuff we had to buy for the hurricane prep, and the fact that we are just not doing too great financially, I had no choice but to DIY this.

Oh, and Mrs Zog did speak to a different bee expert today about these bees. His feeling is that they are the stragglers from the previous swarm, and are without a queen. He said that he didn't think that they would survive anyway. And for him to come get them would be $150, and he was fully booked until Friday. With Sammy already having been stung several times (he just cannot leave a bee alone) we needed to play it safe.

I don't like it one bit, I'd much rather have them relocated safely. But between the financial constraints, and the safety of my dogs, wife, and myself, I had to do what I had to do. Sorry. :cry:

Last edited:

Namakwalander

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
Many years ago my parents rented a farm property and there was a swarm of bees in the roof of the house. On a hot summer day it sounded like a large electrical motor running in the roof from their humming. They were mostly not an issue until they found a gap between the ceiling and the wall and came into the house one by one, but I filled that up with silicone just to get them to stop. Then one day a large swarm just started stinging the dogs. My dad who is allergic, ran for the hills and my uncle tried to help but got stung a few times and also ran. It was so bad that the bees burrowed into the dogs' fur to sting them. Unfortunately both dogs died that day.

For that reason I support your decision

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Many years ago my parents rented a farm property and there was a swarm of bees in the roof of the house. On a hot summer day it sounded like a large electrical motor running in the roof from their humming. They were mostly not an issue until they found a gap between the ceiling and the wall and came into the house one by one, but I filled that up with silicone just to get them to stop. Then one day a large swarm just started stinging the dogs. My dad who is allergic, ran for the hills and my uncle tried to help but got stung a few times and also ran. It was so bad that the bees burrowed into the dogs' fur to sting them. Unfortunately both dogs died that day.

For that reason I support your decision
Be very careful of bees.

The other day at Pebble Rock Golf course close to Roodeplaat dam a guy that was not allergic to bees got stung on the one tee box.
A few minutes later he passed away.

It can happen anytime, anyplace.