Life in America - We made the move.

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Enjoying the cosmos I seeded into pots a few months ago. I have it between my vegetables to attract pollinators.

View attachment 798017

Hope your Monday is/was going well.
Also got ‘late cosmos’ in the front garden.
They flowered just in time because we start seeing our first frost now.
Today rather cold already but tomorrow a high of only 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Got bees and butterflies on ours.
Want to keep the seed for next season as well.

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I'm going to attempt to to trellis the gem squash (in fact, that was the plan all along because the beds are so small).

PXL_20221017_192753895.jpg

I found some pictures of huge butternut squash growing on a trellis, so I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for much smaller gem squash.

image.jpg

I would love a setup like this - a squash tunnel :love:

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I've seen hydroponic guys do it with watermelons and beautiful cucumbers on hydroponic towers, so it should work.

Last time I planted squash, some were like eggs, some like snooker balls, some like ping pong balls, some like marbles. Then there were the small ones.

Good luck I look forward to seeing your success

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
The new air conditioner was delivered. I have no kind words for FedEx.

The driver dumped the box halfway up the driveway. I was going to ask him to bring it into the garage for me because it's very heavy. He saw me coming but turned around, got in his truck and left. I did shout some obscenities after him. I would have thrown something but I didn't have anything handy.

Things like this piss me off beyond belief.

PXL_20221018_163646290.MP.jpg

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
The new air conditioner was delivered. I have no kind words for FedEx.

The driver dumped the box halfway up the driveway. I was going to ask him to bring it into the garage for me because it's very heavy. He saw me coming but turned around, got in his truck and left. I did shout some obscenities after him. I would have thrown something but I didn't have anything handy.

Things like this piss me off beyond belief.

View attachment 798273
IT is interesting how perspectives differ. Here it would be considered great service, above and beyond etc. Except that the aircon would be carried away in minutes. Also the driver will have at least 2 or 3 assistants who will carry the parcel for you, even attempt to assist with installation, because they want a tip.

But as for me, I never say bad words.

i-wouldnt-lie-to-you-pinocchio.gif

Blou Zebu

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
We had one day of winter.

It was Wednesday.

Temps dropped down low, it was cool and dry all day. Very little humidity.

But today it was back to 80 deg F, and humid. I sweated a lot again :ROFLMAO:
Heat is one thing, but that humidity! That is really a killer. In Mandritsara before a cyclone the temperature and humidity sky-rocketed (the place with 35C+ winters days) I stood in front of a big fan and while the air was blowing on me, it felt like my skin was burning because it was so hot.

In Mahajanga, end of February, I got nappy rash on my back from sweating and then my shirt would never dry out. That was fun.

Enjoy your weekend

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Book 32 of 2022: The House Across the Lake - Riley Sager *Library*

This story had more twists than a Lesotho mountain road. I enjoyed it, but the plot got to be pretty stupid ridiculous toward the end.

Casey Fletcher, a recently widowed actress trying to escape a streak of bad press, has retreated to the peace and quiet of her family’s lake house in Vermont. Armed with a pair of binoculars and several bottles of liquor, she passes the time watching Tom and Katherine Royce, the glamorous couple who live in the house across the lake. They make for good viewing—a tech innovator, Tom is rich; and a former model, Katherine is gorgeous.

One day on the lake, Casey saves Katherine from drowning, and the two strike up a budding friendship. But the more they get to know each other—and the longer Casey watches—it becomes clear that Katherine and Tom’s marriage is not as perfect and placid as it appears. When Katherine suddenly vanishes, Casey becomes consumed with finding out what happened to her. In the process, she uncovers eerie, darker truths that turn a tale of voyeurism and suspicion into a story of guilt, obsession and how looks can be very deceiving.

58909880.jpg

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
We are clearing out a bunch of "scrap" at work.

One of the things that was going to go in the dumpster was a bucket of screws. Scrap metal is 6 cents a pound right now. So for a 20 - 30 pound bucket of screws we would get maybe $1.80? Not even worth the fuel money to get it to the recycle yard. So it was destined for the dumpster. I just could not see that happen, I was raised differently. Never waste good hardware. Never waste anything.

So I loaded it in the bakkie and brought it home. This morning I emptied it out on my workbench and got to sorting through it.

PXL_20221023_142414979.jpg

That is a LOT of screws 🤩

But that just meant that it would take a LOT of sorting...

But I had some help, for a while 🐶

PXL_20221023_171659276.jpg

After a few hours this is where I am at.

PXL_20221023_201020394.jpg

Still a lot to go, but seeing what I have already sorted through, there must be between $150 and $200 worth of screws there! Maybe even more, as there are quite a few stainless steel screws in the mix. The tubs with screws in them will all require further sorting into lengths and thicknesses, right now I am just separating out the different types.

I'm gonna need more storage racks :cool:

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
And then this happened...

PXL_20221023_215459630.jpg

PXL_20221023_215917092.jpg

Difficult to not buy steak when it's down from $15 / lb to $10 / lb :cool:

Of course I was joined at the braai by my faithful sidekicks...

PXL_20221023_220912470.jpg

Sammy watching out for the kids riding their bikes in the street, just in case they come try steal the braai :ROFLMAO:

PXL_20221023_220920310.jpg

And Maggie standing guard, just in case Dad drops a sausage

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
I nearly forgot.

Yesterday on my way home from Publix where I got the steaks, I spotted this on the side of the road. So of course I had to stop and load it up.

PXL_20221023_224737971.jpg

PXL_20221023_224812254.jpg

A perfectly good motorcycle stand.

Rated at 1 700 pounds, so it should even be able to lift a heavy-ass Harley (y)

I tested it out, it works perfectly. Just a little dusty, and a few very minor surface-rust spots.

I know just the friend who will really appreciate this :cool:

seeing as I am selling the XL500S... :cry: and I really won't have a use for this.

Crankshaft

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Mr Zog, just curious, how's the bike market that side? New vs used?

Is there a bigger demand for the HD's VS the dual sport / adventure bikes?

grizz

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I nearly forgot.

Yesterday on my way home from Publix where I got the steaks, I spotted this on the side of the road. So of course I had to stop and load it up.

View attachment 798941

View attachment 798942

A perfectly good motorcycle stand.

Rated at 1 700 pounds, so it should even be able to lift a heavy-ass Harley (y)

I tested it out, it works perfectly. Just a little dusty, and a few very minor surface-rust spots.

I know just the friend who will really appreciate this :cool:

seeing as I am selling the XL500S... :cry: and I really won't have a use for this.
Gary,

It’s a strange world we live in.

I bought one for 50p that @crairk brought here for me, if I recall Correctly.

People are so set on this wasteful mentality, they use stuff once, maybe find it is not ideal for their needs, then dispose of it, rather than modify to suit etc.

I used mine for the Rezin Rockit build a few times…. Slow, deliberate lifting.

Also for other lifting jobs before.

I am glad guys like us still exist.

Sardine

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
We are clearing out a bunch of "scrap" at work.

One of the things that was going to go in the dumpster was a bucket of screws. Scrap metal is 6 cents a pound right now. So for a 20 - 30 pound bucket of screws we would get maybe $1.80? Not even worth the fuel money to get it to the recycle yard. So it was destined for the dumpster. I just could not see that happen, I was raised differently. Never waste good hardware. Never waste anything.

So I loaded it in the bakkie and brought it home. This morning I emptied it out on my workbench and got to sorting through it.

View attachment 798923

That is a LOT of screws 🤩

But that just meant that it would take a LOT of sorting...

But I had some help, for a while 🐶

View attachment 798924

After a few hours this is where I am at.

View attachment 798925

Still a lot to go, but seeing what I have already sorted through, there must be between $150 and $200 worth of screws there! Maybe even more, as there are quite a few stainless steel screws in the mix. The tubs with screws in them will all require further sorting into lengths and thicknesses, right now I am just separating out the different types.

I'm gonna need more storage racks :cool:
You've got a few screws loose, @Mr Zog

:)

Mrs. Zog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
I was sitting in the Florida room this morning, at oh-dark-thirty, with my first cup of coffee, and Mr. Zog was still asleep.

Suddenly I heard the dog flap rattling as if something/someone was trying to get in. I took the flashlight and had a look, and sure enough... a raccoon was pushing on the flap with his grubby little paws, trying to get in. I shone the light into his face, and he looked at me expectantly, saying "well, are you going to open it for me?"

These little buggers are just as destructive as monkeys, and super smart, too. Every once in a while you hear horror stories of people who forgot to lock their pet flaps at night and a raccoon got in. Mayhem and destruction, and they poo and pee everywhere.

We'll be sure to double-check at night now, to make sure it's locked.

BigEd

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
When I lived in Columbus Ohio back in 1997, we had a raccoon living in our complex skip - he just stayed in there all day. Maybe venturing a little out at night... but every Thursday morning at 6am he strolled past our front door to go to the river. Yes, Thursday they emptied the skip. Oke must have had a good calendar...

Problem with them is they spread rabies the easiest.

Last edited: