Memel and beyond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Date: Thursday 3rd January
Distance: 810km

I get an SMS: Hi Plothond. Waar's jy more?
huh???  - I phone the number. No answer - only a voice message
A while later another SMS: Plottie dis AMA hier. Useless om my te bel  :)
aah - go figure - plothond you dumb clutz

Anyhow, this was the beginnings of a lekker day out
We decided to retrace the first three quarters of day 1 of last weeks Wakkerstroom trip - ie: up to Memel - and then to go a bit further to Verkykerskop
The planned trip about 720 odd km

Herewith a short trip report

We met at the intersection of the N12 and R50 near Delmas. AMA from JHB and myself from PTA

Memel101.jpg

As was last week - I am beginning to LOVE this route. Blerrie, just Blerrie fantastic
There are a lot of Sandstone buildings around - Maybe this is a businees opportunity and some fantastic restoration to be done

memel102-1.jpg

The Cosmos paints a pretty picture

memel103.jpg

Vrede
Another new favourite - food and drink good

Memel104.jpg

Now here is some interesting news. Those that were on the Memel trip organised by Adventurer last May will remember the Cliffdale Hotel where we stayed.
Shortly thereafter the hotel was sold to a chap by the name of Chris Martin who used to be in the film industry in the Cape.
He has renamed the place the "Memel Hotel" and has done quite a bit of revamping

The bar is where the old dining room was and visa-versa. Some other changes as well.
He is putting together special biker packages and is looking forward to our custom
Adventurer - I hope you do something again this year  ;D

memel105.jpg

en route to Verkykerskop (AMA Ride Ride)

memel106.jpg

I worked out a circular route back to Vrede and MAPsource took us down this road. Methinks someone forgot to tell Garmin this road was closed
After going through two gates the road resembled this

memel107.jpg

After the third gate (which required pliers) - the road now looked like this
See AMA in the mirror fixing the fence gate

memel108.jpg

Some more fun and games awaited

memel117.jpg

memel119.jpg

memel118.jpg

After reaching yet another "gate" that required even bigger pliers, we decided to turn around

Yet another lekker road on the way back to Vrede

memel110.jpg

...and a cooldrink upon reaching Vrede

memel111.jpg

Biological break on the way Cornelia
If you ever saw a one horse town - Cornelia takes first prize

memel112.jpg

For the second time today we cross the Vaal river - just in the opposite direction this time

memel113.jpg

memel114.jpg

Grain silo's at Val - en route to Greylingstad

memel115.jpg

ai tog........
Just on the outskirts of Devon we stop to fill up.
AMA's bike will not start. We try to jump it but it just goes "cluck"

After exhausting the BMW on Call option, a Wilddog we have never met answers the distress call and comes to our aid. MR Big - you system is working  ;D ;D ;D
Billbob - you are todays hero - thanks
:blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob8: :blob9:

memel116.jpg

We drop the bike off at Billbob's place and I take AMA home. I then get chased by the mother of all thunderstorms and get home just as raindrops the size of golfballs start lashing my visor

AMA - it was pleasure riding with you. What an enjoyable outing

Till we ride again !!!
  :) :) :)

Lekker ride Plothond. I've did some of the tarred roads on that route you did on my YBR125 before I got the KLR, even had a coke at the Mahem cafe where Ama is sitting. Stunning scenery, I must do it again before winter kicks in!

Blikslaers! Julle moes my gebel het vir daai lekker trip ;)

Ama wat is die diagnose????

Plothond said:
Ratel said:
Blikslaers! Julle moes my gebel het vir daai lekker trip ;)

Ama wat is die diagnose????

Jy was mos in die lug ???
O ja :-[

Maar julle is nog steeds blikslaers om lekker te ry terwyl ek moet werk >:D

Lekker "exploring" there!

Pliers and all! :mrgreen:

Billbob. Well done there! Blerry awesome. :cool: :cool:

Good one Plothond. I also agree Cornelia was a one horse town, Then the Horse died. Now it's just horseless.

Next time I'm at my parents' place in Reitz, I want take a ride to Vrede and Memel. Beautiful area, I just luv the eastern Freestate.
Nice report Plottie. Ama keap us updated on the problem with the bike. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Ratel said:
Maar julle is nog steeds blikslaers om lekker te ry terwyl ek moet werk >:D

En jy noem dit werk???

Plottie

Mucho thanks for the lovely ride. I'm keen for an overnighter to the Memel Hotel. Just say when.

Here my pics of the trippie.
IMGP0091.jpg

IMGP0093-1.jpg

Brunch in Vrede
IMGP0094.jpg

Memel bar (new owner Chris)
IMGP0095-1.jpg

IMGP0097-1.jpg

IMGP0098.jpg

IMGP0099.jpg

The track disapeared
IMGP0102.jpg

IMGP0103-1.jpg

IMGP0105-1.jpg

IMGP0108.jpg

IMGP0110-1.jpg

IMGP0109.jpg

Plotties studying his map but he used the excuse to rest his arse ;D
IMGP0111.jpg

And a special piccie for groenie :D
IMGP0112-1.jpg

Plothond. Thanks for taking me on the ride. Loved everything, the speed, the potholes, the grasstrack, the fence bashing, the cold ones at the pitstops and the help at Devon.

A faulthy battery spolied the ride a bit at the end but everything is again jolly.

Nice one...

my riding time is already going for a ball of shit and we are only in the first week of the year...loks like an awesome trip..

I have a mate that has a family farm not far out of vrede. we could maybe try and arrange an overnighter there will touch base with him and see what we can organise. should be done before hunting season starts.. a few bungalows and plenty camping space. can even take the kids and swambo along as it's not too far witht he cage.

will see how this develops.

Me got totally wasted in that Memel Hotel Pub on Old Years Eve, not a lekker place that pub, their drinks give you seriaaaaas babelaaaaaas.