Moments in Namibia (video)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I probably shouldn't get myself distracted from the Lesotho video and ride report but I just can't resist to share
just a little of Namibia. Dustdevil and I agreed to finish the Lesotho report before looking at the Namibia one but
I think he wouldn't mind me giving you a little teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBoljWp9Dzw

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/UBoljWp9Dzw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/UBoljWp9Dzw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

nee fkkt, julle vat so lank met die lesotho een..., maar goeie goed vat lank of hoe...
Michiel, jou foto talent sal namibia goed doen. wag in spanning
hehe, sleep lekker daai KLR teen die duin uit

Michiel step away from the distractions and go finish the Lesotho story and video!!
Anders gaan ek "daai kamera uit jou hand uit moet bliksem"  :p

Dr Dirt said:
Michiel watter soort kamera gebruik jy?

I used Dustdevil's Canon G11 since he destroyed my "mik en druk" by opening the taps on that HPN while
I was riding behind him filming. Dust and gravel ain't no camera's friend.

The G11 is a pretty good camera. Shoots stunning images in Canon RAW format while the video function is good
enough for PC viewing. Has a big fold-out screen which is very helpful when making videos. The video quality on
the G11 came in better than my miniDV camera I used on the Lesotho trip. There are drawbacks on the G11 though.

They crammed in so many manual functions on the fairly compact body that one easily, by accident, change some
important settings just handling the camera. It must be said that if you got +- R5500 to spend you can't go wrong
with the G11.

Dusty might disagree.

airHEAD said:
Amazing   :biggrin: You guys blow me away  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

It was a stunning trip, only you were missing... Imagine what two HPN's on top of Dune 2 would have looked like.  :mwink:

MrBig said:
Michiel step away from the distractions and go finish the Lesotho story and video!!
Anders gaan ek "daai kamera uit jou hand uit moet bliksem"  :p

:imaposer: Laat jy my nou lag! Global Moderator he? Wat is dit?

For the record: MrBig, the Glogal Moderator, plotted out a route for us going North of Brandberg. I asked for a nice sandy/dry riverbed
track and he came up with some road he traveled with a 4x4. Sweet and short, by the time we got to the half way point we were so
worn out that the only words Dusty could utter was: Does MrBig want to f**king kill us?!!!

Michiel said:
airHEAD said:
Amazing   :biggrin: You guys blow me away  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

It was a stunning trip, only you were missing... Imagine what two HPN's on top of Dune 2 would have looked like.  :mwink:

I cant wait till you are done posting "Lesotho the long wait"  :pot: so I can see what I missed out on this time!

Michiel said:
For the record: MrBig, the Glogal Moderator, plotted out a route for us going North of Brandberg. I asked for a nice sandy/dry riverbed
track and he came up with some road he traveled with a 4x4. Sweet and short, by the time we got to the half way point we were so
worn out that the only words Dusty could utter was: Does MrBig want to f**king kill us?!!!

Don't say I didn't warn you!  :biggrin:

Michiel !
Incredible video , really good filming, how did you manage to hold the camera and ride your bike ?

VERY well done Michiel!  :thumleft:

The shots in the flat pan was excellent. (seeing that you were riding one-handed!)  :thumleft:

Did you and dustdevil do the desert run as Isee he has the stickers on his bike?nice video ,cant wait for the rest :thumleft:

charlw said:
That area is outlandish. Did you go thro the rhino camp?

Yes we did. Slept over at the Rhino Camp. Sort of stumbled upon it as, at the time, we were not entirely sure where we're going.
Neither of us have a gps and both of us prefer to be stubborn and navigate the old way by using
high res maps. Dustdevil has some experience reading maps as he used to do back in the Grens Oorlog.

We attended the 2010 Desert Run and headed up North afterwards. So yes. I still have my stickers on
the KLR. Will probably leave them there for a while. Memories you know? The dune Dusty come riding up
in the video is the infamous Dune 2. I can proudly say that, besides the KLR, this year the HPN was the biggest
bike by twice the capacity to make it to the top. Dusty let me have a go and boy does she fly  :ricky:

All the riding shots are hand-held as I found it's better and steadier that way. I also can keep an eye on
the screen to try keep things level. Riding in the pans it was easy enough but later on I did some shots
riding next to Dustdevil on a tweespoor in thick sand and that becomes a bit more tricky.

I should say that, since we started riding together a year ago, our styles have moulded together and now
we are very much in sync even managing to keep it together when the bikes occationally touch handlebars
as we ride in such close procsimity.