Montana 700i review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukestrugnell

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
So I bought myself (from myself ;) ) a Montana 700i a few days ago.

Have been playing with it over the last two days and setting it up.

Wanted to start a thread giving some feedback.

First off it has a great screen and the touch screen functionality is really cool. I have only ever had button gps units (besides some old Nuvis etc). I think we so used to touch screen it makes life so much easier. For example typing in an address is simple compared to my 276cx I had.

I signed up for the basic in reach package and tested it with my brother in Lesotho. It sent him a sms and an email and he managed to reply to the unit very easily. Tested the in reach weather and that also works as advertised.

The unit comes with SA topo maps and to my surprise city navigator as well. Plugging it into garmin connect these maps were updated immediately.  I loaded T4A and with those 3 I should be good to go in any terrain.

The device also comes with Birds eye view direct, but I haven't tried that yet.

My family are also into Geocaching and so I activated the device with Geocaching.com and it supports live geocaching. This is a really cool feature as it means no more manual logging finds or having to use my cellphone and the app to log finds.

Today I tested it as a vehicle navigator (see pic) using the optional vehicle mount. This mount is extremely solid and a good RAM copy. It performed well in this role. I hardly ever use a Garmin for city navigating as Google maps or Waze are probably better in town. However for travelling and use in the 4x4 on trips this thing will be awesome running T4A or topo maps.

Had a slight issue syncing to my phone that turns out to be my fault. When I setup the device I used my work email address and made an account on that, forgetting I already had an account on my personal email for my watch etc. This resulted in some problems syncing. So if you do setup a new garmin be aware of this and try use only 1 account.

That's about it for now. More to follow on this thread. The device is really impressive and built like a tank.

Cheers for now.
5fe8b50d44edec29607e74ee4711428b.jpg
0bb9897eb6e673e3743f2d13b7930337.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk