Mountain climbing (Rooihuiskraal -> Hennops River)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tr0jan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
We came together for our monthly run, but half the people phoned on the morning, and cancelled. So we were only 3. The braai, wood, wors, ropes, tyre weld etc was packed and ready. Then worst of worst, there were parts missing on one bike (forgot them at home!). We had to go and give Mean Machine a quick visit to get a new air filter bracket for the KTM, just because it was closer than Rosebank.

So we were all set and ready, the 3 bikes going were a KTM 125sx, CR250R and Kwak KLE 500.

dsc00527dv3.jpg

dsc00526rf7.jpg

dsc00524lg9.jpg

Finally we left at about 11:30 (damn warm!).

We set off towards a north westerly direction, we dont really care where we end up as long as there is dirt to ride on... We went past one of our old favourite spots between erasmia and centurion where there is an old demolished house on top of the mountain.

dsc00528gz5.jpg

dsc00530nk6.jpg

We kept on riding after our noses, following the general NW direction. We passed next to a game farm of sorts, but only spotted one Zebra, and by the time the camera was out, it was gone!

dsc00533xw3.jpg

dsc00532tg4.jpg

dsc00534wm1.jpg

We kept on climbing as high as possible and found a private road leading up the mountain. We followed it up as high as possible. Alas, there was a closed gate, and we cannot continue.

dsc00537ac1.jpg

dsc00536pz4.jpg

We found this little foot path on our way to the top, and decided, this is the route to take. Lets see what happends.

dsc00538vp4.jpg

Down the other side is about a 50 degree decline, and the tank (KLE) doesnt like this terrain too much, but what the hell, its not what you ride, its how you ride it. So we went for it and ended up at a secluded spot next to the Hennops River.

dsc00539bl3.jpg

This seemed like a nice place to have a braai.

dsc00540qk1.jpg

dsc00541ri0.jpg

dsc00542eo2.jpg

We set off back home, and just followed our noses again!

dsc00543my1.jpg

dsc00544vs7.jpg

All and all, great short trip, did about 56km, 3 mountain ranges and it took 4 hours.

Nice to see another KLE on the forum. Dit bly maar n mooi bike , of hoe ?

Nice pics :)

looks like a cool route, close to home ;)

Where exactly is this? I would love to go ride there. I recognize one pic, the bridge before you had the braai. That's the road going from Erasmia to Hennopspride? Maybe you can go show me sometime..

Groenie said:
Where exactly is this? I would love to go ride there. I recognize one pic, the bridge before you had the braai. That's the road going from Erasmia to Hennopspride? Maybe you can go show me sometime..

Sal so maak, ek sal volgende keer as ons ry, jou saamnooi.

I love rides like this, used to do them at 4-ways when it was still bundu. Not all that long ago, either.

Not to beat a dead horse, but in this country you'd have helicopters overhead, cops and assorted bullies with guns and badges chasing you in about 10 mimutes flat. You would most lilkely have your bike confiscated, never to be seen again. No shite.

Africa still is free, believe me. Be back soon..... ;D

shark_za said:
Kan ek ook n guided tour vat?
asb?!

Yep. ek sal met julle reël.

Daar is baie single track betrokke, so julle moet die KLR's ry soos scramblers ! :)

Tr0jan said:
shark_za said:
asb?!

Daar is baie single track betrokke, so julle moet die KLR's ry soos scramblers ! :)

Wat van groote fietse of n 650 X Challenge sal dit die trip kan doen of net tupperware fietse???

mikedabike said:
Tr0jan said:
shark_za said:
asb?!

Wat van groote fietse of n 650 X Challenge sal dit die trip kan doen of net tupperware fietse???

Jong, die gedeelte by die erge helling af, gaan jy deur dun klippe, en spore, so die enigste bike wat sal vashaak as jy soos jou g*t ry, is die groot GS'e.

As jy 'n DS bike het, en groot b*llas, dan sal jy fine wees.

Daar was dan 'n KLE saam gewees. Ek's seker 'n GS sal gaan waar 'n KLE kan ??? Check Poppipants op die 1150 by de Wildt!!

Groenie said:
Daar was dan 'n KLE saam gewees. Ek's seker 'n GS sal gaan waar 'n KLE kan ??? Check Poppipants op die 1150 by de Wildt!!

Stem.

So when will you organise this ride for us?  ;)

Groenie said:

Ek stry nie, maar die ruts is diep, en jy kan nie om dit gaan nie, ek moes op een plek die voet pegs oplig om deur te pas, en 'n KLE is baie dunner as 'n 1200GS. Maar tog ja, niks in onmoontlik nie :)

Ryperd said:
Groenie said:

Stem.

So when will you organise this ride for us?  ;)

Im having a look at my calendar. How does saturday 13 October sound? I know its still far, but im very busy on the other weekends.

Everyone welcome, people with "Wide" bikes are welcome, but not recommended. But what the heck, if a KLE can do it, so can the rest?

We ALWAYS BRAAI so bring something (usually wors and buns), ill bring the charcoal and tomato sauce.

PM me for my house details, we'll leave at about 7 in the morning, please use ATGATT, we dont like injuries.

Aag nee, 13th Oct is KLR dag by my huis. Maybe die Sondag?