MX helmet or DS helmet?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daemon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Stopped yesterday at that accessories shop next to yamaha off old jhb road in centurion. They had the shoei and arai
DS helmets, nice and all but compared to some of the MX helmets a bit...erm...boring. Tried a couple of helmets on, the
shoei and arai fits well, but then so did the KBC, Fox, and shoei MX helmets as well. Infact out of all of them I preferred the
Fox MX helmet for fit. Sooo apart from the visor on the DS helmets what's really the difference
between DS and MX helmts? The MX helmets seems just as strong and are SNELL and DOT and all that good stuff approved aswell, or am I missing something? How much protection will a MX helmet give compared to a DS helmet in a say....140km/h off? The peaks seems a little longer but then there's PLENTY of space and vents for the air to flow over and through the peak. And it seems to me it's easier carrying clear mx goggles with on a trip than a clear visor...fair enough you can use goggles on the DS helmet as well.
In winter the MX helmet will probably be freezing...
Noise, I wear ear plugs.
I just cannot think of something that really sets the DS helmets apart, in order to pay double if not more for them.
Anyone here rides with a MX helmet most of the time? How do you find it?