My bucket-list sleeper build ... VW GOLF MK1 2L 16V 150 kW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBendIt

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
I inherited my love for old VWs from my father ... when I was growing up he started off with a Passat CLi ... and then came the first MkII Jetta CLi followed by another facelifted Jetta CLi a few years later ...and then a Mk3 CLi ... he was a sales rep and did big kms ...at least 200 000 km in each as he got a new company car every 5 years ... these cars were all "responsible family man" cars but had great performance when you put your foot down.

I was very active in the GTi Club in the late Nineties and early Noughties ... I raced a Golf Mk1 for a few years in Class es C and B of GTi Challenge in Cape Town ... I learnt a lot about driving, building and preparing the Mk1 Golf

Then life happened ... I got engaged, married, started a business, bought a house, had kids and suddenly I was 45.

It was time to build the car I always wanted ... 150 kW in a Mk1 weighing 800 kg

I wanted the donor car to be one of the last and most "modern" Mk1 that VW SA made ... and the best package for me was the VELOCITi ... it had the best interior with shaped "bucket" seats, black roof lining, the new spec dash and came standard with 15 inch wheels ... and best of all it was built with the bulletproof reliable MP9 engine management system

The end goal was to make the car look as standard and original as possible ... unless you really knew you would walk past it and not give it a second glance ... it would look just like every other red citigolf.

I found my donor car ... 29 year old lady in Somerset West selling the car her dad gave her when she turned 18 ... a VELOCITI 1.4i in very tatty cosmetic condition ... dents and scratches all over ... what I call "brandy stains" ... paintwork peeling from sun damage and a most filthy grubby interior ... but most importantly the body was perfectly straight and it would be a great foundation

These pics are from the day I got it ...

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    605.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg