My flying adventures.

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
My daughter was done with the interview at 12 and I was invited along, when the manager drove her around the feedlot to show her everything they do. Very interesting and on a proper scale, with anything between 30,000 - 40,000 cattle being fed.

We left Beefmaster at 12:40 and yes, as it turned out, we could have flown there, without issue. As we drove back, the first rain showers began near Warrenton. But that's how flying goes. Had we flown there, we probably would have had weather issues.

Were back in Kimberley just after 2 and the weather was clearly brewing. Luckily, all formalities were taken care off that morning already. Tanks filled an paid for, landing and parking fees paid, so we only has to go through security and could then leave straight away.
As we took off, and just after I retracted the gear, we flew into rain. Not at all restricting visibility in any way, but the drops were large and falling so hard that I thought it was hail. We flew in this for about 5 minutes before we cleared the weather and the route to Colesberg was completely clear of any clouds or weather.
That, however, did not take away the turbulence, which was extreme.

I promised @Dorsland that I would do a low level recce on the way back, but it simply wasn't possible. It was so severe that my daughter, who flies quite well and isn't bothered much by turbulent conditions, wasn't prepared to take control while I try to take a photo.
So Johan, next time.

On the descend, the turbulence was such that I had to power right back to 16" MP to keep the air speed out of the yellow arc. At times, I would push forward on the yoke, but we would still see and ascend of up to 1,400 ft/min.
The next moment, I would be pulling back, the IAS would decrease to around 120 mph, but we would descent at 1,000 ft/min. Our ground speed was quite good though and we were home after only 38 minutes.
We landed safely in a 90 deg cross wind and I was really shot, but very impressed with the way the Comanche handled in the conditions. It was hot on the return flight, but none of the temperatures "ran away".

To top it all, my daughter received a call from Beefmaster today, to inform her that she ended up as the successful candidate. We are really thankful and very proud of her and she's awaiting an email in which she'll be notified when she has to report for duty.
She'll be undergoing training at the Christiana feedlot, after which she'll be transferred to take up position as junior section manager at the Tri-Star feedlot in hartswater, which Beefmaster is now running.

I have to run now.

Below a pic of the Kimberley apron, while we waited to refuel:Kimberley apron.jpg

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Baie geluk met die werk klein Tampan! Ken paar mense wat by Beefmaster gewerk het en ek kan net sê ek hoop my kinders kan so wegspring hê. Dinge loop nie altyd mooi en maklik daar nie, maar sy gaan vrek baie leer!!

Laat sy vasbyt👍🏻

Sou jy weer moet vlieg Christiana toe en jy kort landplek of voertuig, laat weet dan reël ek met n boer met n aanloopbaan net buite die dorp. Hy kan dalk n pivot bakkie ook spaar vir n uur of 3 😉

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Dankie @Sandban(g)k

Ek is nie die spog tipe nie, maar sy is 'n fantastiese kind. Bitter verantwoordelik, hardwerkend en pligsgetrou en ons het vandat sy verstand gekry het, nog nooit een dag moeilikheid met haar gehad nie.
Sy het al haar graad vakke, behalwe een, met cum laude geslaag.

Ek glo sy sal gelukkig wees by Beefmaster en defnitief baie leer. Ek het vir 'n hele klompie jare self 'n voerkraal gehad, so sy ken dit, boerdery en die plaas besigheid goed.

Sy's sommer net 'n moerse lekker kind. En dan is sy nogal mooi ook... :cool:

IMG_8807.jpg

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS

Vra ek n maat (tong in die kies) waar sy kinders al hul verstand vandaan gekry het? Seker by hul ma antwoord hy, want ek het nog al myne!!! ;)
:p
Mens mag trots wees op jou kinders!!(y)
👏

Sandban(g)k

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
As sy 50% van jou is, moet jou vrou darem uiters mooi wees ;)

Net n grappie!

Is sy gesort met blyplek en goed in Christiana? As ek reg onthou het Beefmaster hul eie plekke op die plaas vir werknemers?

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
As sy 50% van jou is, moet jou vrou darem uiters mooi wees ;)

Net n grappie!

Is sy gesort met blyplek en goed in Christiana? As ek reg onthou het Beefmaster hul eie plekke op die plaas vir werknemers?
Ja nee, die ou kat is glad nie sleg nie hoor! 😁

Hulle het baie lekker grasdak chalets op die plaas buite Christiana. Dit lyk kompleet soos 'n vakansie oord daar.

Sy gaan egter net vir 'n paar weke in Christiana opleiding ontvang. Daarna gaan hulle haar verplaas na die Tri Star kraal in Hartswater. Hulle het blykbaar klaar vir haar 'n meenthuis in Hartswater en die kraal is blykbaar net 3km buite die dorp.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure

Vra ek n maat (tong in die kies) waar sy kinders al hul verstand vandaan gekry het? Seker by hul ma antwoord hy, want ek het nog al myne!!! ;)
:p
Mens mag trots wees op jou kinders!!(y)
👏
Dit is baie lekker as mens se kinders goed doen en suksesvol is Chris.

Ek weet nie waar sy die verstand gekry het nie, maar sy is 1,000 keer meer pligsgetrou as ek, as dit by leer kom. Sy het haar studies baie geniet en ek het haar nooit hoor kla as sy moes leer of werk doen nie.
Ek het al hard gewerk en swaar gekry in my lewe, maar leer bly nog steeds vir my een van die swaarste en slegste werke ooit. :oops:

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
So today, I was supposed to fly to the Kalahari. We're weaning calves today and are loading tomorrow.
My main reason to be there, was to select the replacement heifers myself, but the current weather conditions saw to it that I'm not going anywhere.

Today was OK-ish to fly there and I actually planned to fly via Upington to refuel there. A bit more on this later.
The issue is coming back tomorrow morning. I'm expecting the tyre shop to become busy with the holiday traffic and I can't afford not to be here when things get busy. There's just too much at stake and I want to take care of any possible issues, should they arise.

I was about to fly this morning, but then though about how tomorrow's return flight will probably go, and I'm not felling like it.
Low cloud towards Colesberg with a very high possibility of rain. Looking at the weather system and according to Windy, the cloud layer is thick and cloud tops are as high as 20k feet. So no going over the top and it's going to be 100% overcast, so visual contact with the ground will most likely not be possible.
I've never done any scud running and I'm not planning to start after almost 20 years of flying.

So, my good neighbour will take care of selecting the heifers on my behalf and seeing that he also happens to be the agent, he will load the rest of the weaners.
I'm closing the shop on Friday, so the plan is to fly on Friday, instead, and return on Sunday - weather permitting, of course. At this stage, the long term forecast does not look very positive.

Regarding my plan to refuel at Upington:
The previous owner of the Comanche had the JPI engine monitor installed in 2018. Among various other fuel related information, the JPI calculates and display the current fuel flow. Although I use the % ROP when setting the mixture, the fuel flow on the JPI has been an issue to me, since day one. It shows a fuel flow of around 1 - 1.5 gal/hr higher than the airplane's analogue guage. Seeing that the analogue gauge is as old as the aircraft itself, IAW 53 years, one is naturally skeptic to trust it, instead of a brand new digital instrument.

However, the JPI needs to be calibrated and we're beginning to suspect that this has not been done. The JPI comes with a factory preset default for fuel flow. It is called the K-factor and this can be changed.
The procedure is to fill the tanks, fly, and on the next refuel, you write down the quantity consumed, according to the JPI, as well as the actual quantity of fuel you put in. The longer the flights between refueling, the more accurate the end result will be and after gathering the data of at least three flights, of at least two hours each, you do a calculation according to a specific formula, supplied by JPI.
The answer is a new K-factor, which is programmed into the JPI and it is possible to calibrate it to be accurate to less than one liter. I had both my Mooney and my Bonnie's JPI's calibrated to almost 100% and it's really nice to know that the information received from the the instrument is close to 100%.

I refueled at Kimberley on Wednesday. Had I refueled at Upington this morning, the total flight time would have been close to three hours. I think I'll fill the tanks before the next flight and then refuel at either Upingon or Kimberley on the way back from the Kalahari.
If our assumption is correct, and the Comanche's fuel flow is in fact what the analogue gauge displays, the fuel flow is not incorrect and I would be a happy man.

My doubts on this started when looking at the exhaust colour, after long flights. An aircraft engine running too rich "burns" almost black and has lots of black soot, if you pull a finger through the outlet.
On the Comanche, the exhausts burn a nice light grey colour and white traces are visible on the outside of the exhaust pipes - which is what you want. So, let's hope my "flying way too rich" assumption, was exactly that.

Below a two pics I took of the exhaust after the last flight. Definitely not running too rich according to these.

Exhaust1.jpg Exhaust2.jpg

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Dankie @Sandban(g)k

Ek is nie die spog tipe nie, maar sy is 'n fantastiese kind. Bitter verantwoordelik, hardwerkend en pligsgetrou en ons het vandat sy verstand gekry het, nog nooit een dag moeilikheid met haar gehad nie.

Ek glo sy sal gelukkig wees by Beefmaster en defnitief baie leer. Ek het vir 'n hele klompie jare self 'n voerkraal gehad, so sy ken dit, boerdery en die plaas besigheid goed.

Sy's sommer net 'n moerse lekker kind. En dan is sy nogal mooi ook... :cool:

View attachment 807050
Pas haar op. Daai boere seuns gaan haar mal maak. Baie geluk met die werk jonge dame.

woody1

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Die jare toe ons nog normale petrol in ons bikes gery het was dit daai grys wat jy wou sien. Deesdae se petrol bly die uitlaat pyp swart maak nie saak hoe jy aan die mengsels stel nie.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Die jare toe ons nog normale petrol in ons bikes gery het was dit daai grys wat jy wou sien. Deesdae se petrol bly die uitlaat pyp swart maak nie saak hoe jy aan die mengsels stel nie.
Dis hy. Dis die lood daarin wat die wereldwye weerstand teen Avgas veroorsaak, maar dis reeds daai lood wat hom so lekker wit laat brand.

GeenSand

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Daar kom so nou en dan 'n mixture/transport probleem en dan kry mens dit nog reg. Dit was in 2017 op my F650gstwin

Attachments

• 20170305_154410.jpg
    20170305_154410.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 0

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I need to get to the Kalahari farm before Christmas and the visit must preferable take place over a weekend, the last of which is the one we're now in. The shop is not as busy as it was last year, but still more feet than normal and I'm not comfortable going away during busy times.

However, we're getting so much rain, that I just can't get out by airplane. My plan was to fly yesterday morning and return this morning, but yesterday, we woke up to rain. So, I though I'd fly this morning, but yesterday, late afternoon, it started raining again and this morning, we measured 22 mm.
The ground is soaked and I didn't even bother to check the runway.

So, the last chance will be tomorrow morning, returning early on Monday morning. At this stage, the weather looks OK and I hope the runway will dry off enough.

I'm not complaining about the rain, at all, but it does make things very challenging this year
First, what normally takes one week to plant maize, took three weeks. After that, and with the ongoing rain, we were not able to get into the fields in time, to spray the required weed killers with the tall boy sprayer.
Now, the maize got too big and is past the 8 leaf stage where Round-Up can be used. So, we have to use alternatives and apply it through the pivots. Still effective, but not on grass and not our first choice.

And then there's the load shedding, of course, which has put us way behind schedule with our fertilizer program. This is indeed going to be a challenging year to grow maize.

Bill the Bong

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Cagiva Elefant 900
I need to get to the Kalahari farm before Christmas and the visit must preferable take place over a weekend, the last of which is the one we're now in. The shop is not as busy as it was last year, but still more feet than normal and I'm not comfortable going away during busy times.

However, we're getting so much rain, that I just can't get out by airplane. My plan was to fly yesterday morning and return this morning, but yesterday, we woke up to rain. So, I though I'd fly this morning, but yesterday, late afternoon, it started raining again and this morning, we measured 22 mm.
The ground is soaked and I didn't even bother to check the runway.

So, the last chance will be tomorrow morning, returning early on Monday morning. At this stage, the weather looks OK and I hope the runway will dry off enough.

I'm not complaining about the rain, at all, but it does make things very challenging this year
First, what normally takes one week to plant maize, took three weeks. After that, and with the ongoing rain, we were not able to get into the fields in time, to spray the required weed killers with the tall boy sprayer.
Now, the maize got too big and is past the 8 leaf stage where Round-Up can be used. So, we have to use alternatives and apply it through the pivots. Still effective, but not on grass and not our first choice.

And then there's the load shedding, of course, which has put us way behind schedule with our fertilizer program. This is indeed going to be a challenging year to grow maize.
Nature is telling you that you need to get an IF rating.