Need help to chose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay....So I want to buy a DS. I have already decided that the KTM 990 is the way to go.  ;D ;D It is IMO probably one of the best bikes I have ever ridden. and recently I have been test riding quite a few. Perhaps I am biased though.....none the less....

I went to Raceworx KTM on Saturday morning, WOW, what a shop ;D

Anyway....I need help choosing between the 990 ADV and the 990R.

The main difference I have seen on the spec sheets is the ADV is a bit lower, has a slightly shorter suspension travel and has ABS, which can be switched off, it is also available in white, (which really tickles my fancy).

The 990R is a little higher, has longer suspension travel, but has no ABS. It is also approx 7kg's lighter (dry weight).

Cost difference is enough to notice but not enough to make it a show stopper, so what is the pro's and cons'?

I want to use the bike for touring. no pillion. I have a dream to go through Namibia on this bike. I have a plastic, which I use for fun and the real technical stuff, so this bike would be subjected to dirt roads and some minor technical stuff, but nothing like what I would expect the plastic to over come.

Advise please? ??? ??? ??? ???