New boswa, Botswana trip prep with children

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Next challenge to address is fitting these stupid Jerry cans to the roof. They have a huge protruding seam that will scrape through imo.
Current plan is to either carry them inside the car or cut two grooves in that plank as a roof rack stand type of thing.

Attachments

• 20220619_181359.jpg
    20220619_181359.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0

wjn

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
So, now that I am done complaining. Some little mods.

Fitted the trailer this little drawer to make the space more usable. Now we have a little scullery!
Same thing on the other bedroom side, a good spot for shoes
Love the idea of taking a trip with the family…definitely on my bucket list one day when financials are a little better. Enjoy it👍Stuff dreams are made of.

May I make a unsolicited suggestion around packing in the trailer? I kitted my Metalian on a tight budget, so had these canvas bags made for crockery/cutlery/loose items etc. Cost me about R1500, so very affordable. They can be made to your specs to stow away whatever it is you need.

They attach to the carpeted sides with velcro and stick onto the top of the shelves, so can easily be removed for cleaning. Did a trip to Richtersveld and the joy of not having everthing shaken to bits and strewn around in the kitchen was lovely. One rule in my trailer is: always put it back where you found it…

Attachments

• D3C73179-E65C-4E0F-A904-0FD7F65CDCC7.jpeg
    D3C73179-E65C-4E0F-A904-0FD7F65CDCC7.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 0
  • 6D4846A9-D91F-4F37-AABD-08A5889B5742.jpeg
    6D4846A9-D91F-4F37-AABD-08A5889B5742.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Thats awesome wjn! I would love to do the same but didnt manage it in time. Looks like R1500 well spend.
I did approach Metalion on this but did not get much of an answer. Issue is my trailer is one of the first, they changed dimensions thereafter so I got some very vague replies.
I will have to go to a local upholsterer and have the same things made up, but not knowing exactly what I want as I dont know what new trailers have and working with guys that does not know much about camping I let it be for now. I stay in a small town....

Our kitchen area isnt as messy as it may seem at first, all plates and stuff are either in a zipped bag or have those arms pressing it down.
while typing I just thought I should raise the cutlery holder a little then they wont fall out either (we had one or two fall out on previous gravel road.

I need to decide today whether I want to/need to fork out lotsa monies for a foldable solar panel. It will be great to use, easy to pack but feedback is they dont last that long...
While a bigger solid panel will probably have to go on the bed, not ideal

wjn

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
@m0lt3n I didn’t even bother approaching the manufacturer, sommer got a tannie on FB marketplace that does canvas work to make them.

Regarding the solar panel, the foldable ones are crazy expensive and the solid ones seemed a bit cumbersome and fragile to me so I personally opted for the semi—flexible option. Can pack away easier because of the thinner profile so I stuff it under the cover of the RTT…even rigged it to strap on top while driving in the parks to charge while I spend the day in the sun.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
@m0lt3n I didn’t even bother approaching the manufacturer, sommer got a tannie on FB marketplace that does canvas work to make them.

Regarding the solar panel, the foldable ones are crazy expensive and the solid ones seemed a bit cumbersome and fragile to me so I personally opted for the semi—flexible option. Can pack away easier because of the thinner profile so I stuff it under the cover of the RTT…even rigged it to strap on top while driving in the parks to charge while I spend the day in the sun.

Eish, that is quite expensive. All this solar stuff aren't cheap.

Also looking into solar panels and some info on what I learned so far: That is a 24V 6A panel which is ideally used with a mppt charger. If you use it with a PWM charger it can only output 6A to the 12V battery which is around 70W. At 6A on a 100Ah battery it will take two days to charge.

For a trip like Botswana a foldable solar panel is nice to be able to move around but not much use if you are driving most of the day. Friend had one an it basically maintained the battery preventing it from draining completely as opposed to charging it.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
and the other problem...as soon as you think you see a decent deal, its out of stock.
The 120 watt semi flexible in link also reflects out of stock.

a buddy said I can borrow his 160W solid he uses on his Invader.
Failing that, my 60W isnt completely useless, I believe ten minute idling with the car to charge in mornings will give it sufficient head start for the day (the days we are not driving with trailer)

wjn

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Eish, that is quite expensive. All this solar stuff aren't cheap.

Also looking into solar panels and some info on what I learned so far: That is a 24V 6A panel which is ideally used with a mppt charger. If you use it with a PWM charger it can only output 6A to the 12V battery which is around 70W. At 6A on a 100Ah battery it will take two days to charge.

For a trip like Botswana a foldable solar panel is nice to be able to move around but not much use if you are driving most of the day. Friend had one an it basically maintained the battery preventing it from draining completely as opposed to charging it.
Ja…very expensive and stock issues unfortunately. I must say that I won’t even attempt to charge a drained deep cycle with the panel, I only use it to put back what I use in the day…so to top up the losses from the fridge. Obviously you never catch up the night losses so that way a fully charged battery (via car/mains) lasts comfortably for 3-4 days. Then we usually move on and the battery can be fully charged again en route.

I invested in a Ctek DC-DC setup and it has worked well so far…

I agree, when camping a mobile setup is ideal to be able to maximise charging without parking the van in the sun everyday. But then you lose out on charging while driving unless you charge off the alternator.

briv

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Next challenge to address is fitting these stupid Jerry cans to the roof. They have a huge protruding seam that will scrape through imo.
Current plan is to either carry them inside the car or cut two grooves in that plank as a roof rack stand type of thing.
I got hold of an old tractor rear wheel tubes and cut them into sleeves that fit over the jerry cans, stops them chaffing through and losing paint.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I got hold of an old tractor rear wheel tubes and cut them into sleeves that fit over the jerry cans, stops them chaffing through and losing paint.
OH you just reminded me!
I think I should patent my 18inch heavy duty wine bottle protectors!

Attachments

• 20220619_112455.jpg
    20220619_112455.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
and the other problem...as soon as you think you see a decent deal, its out of stock.
The 120 watt semi flexible in link also reflects out of stock.

a buddy said I can borrow his 160W solid he uses on his Invader.
Failing that, my 60W isnt completely useless, I believe ten minute idling with the car to charge in mornings will give it sufficient head start for the day (the days we are not driving with trailer)
If you can pack one, why not two, join them with hinges and you have 120W on hand with almost the same space utilized for the one 60W. I did that with mine, safe plenty of space and much more manageable.

The one in the pics I made for my cleanson, if memory serves me right they were 2 X 80W = 160W. 🤔

IMG-20200207-WA0000.jpg IMG-20200207-WA0001.jpg IMG-20200207-WA0002.jpg IMG-20200207-WA0003.jpg

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
THats nice vis arend. I think I would have looked into that if I wasnt so slow in reacting.
local shops dont have any small panels in store at the moment.

I managed to connect the trailer to the car yesterday and it charged the battery fairly quickly. Like 0.5V up in 5 minutes. So I am now more at peace with my setup.
That was the decision last night, chill and manage it. But just now got the message that the 300W foldables are back in stock, take it or leave it. :unsure:

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
I managed to connect the trailer to the car yesterday and it charged the battery fairly quickly. Like 0.5V up in 5 minutes. So I am now more at peace with my setup.
That was the decision last night, chill and manage it.

How do you charge the battery from your vehicle? A DC-DC charger, smart solenoid, something else?

Don't be fooled with the 5min jump in voltage. A DC-DC charger as example gives 20A probably and will need 3 hours to recharge a half drained 120ah.
But then again a 120ah can probably give you 2days of fridge use and when the battery is low the fridge can stay cool for another night before you have to use the car as backup.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
If you can pack one, why not two, join them with hinges and you have 120W on hand with almost the same space utilized for the one 60W. I did that with mine, safe plenty of space and much more manageable.

The one in the pics I made for my cleanson, if memory serves me right they were 2 X 80W = 160W. 🤔

Very nice. As ek groot is gaan ek ook so twee panele gebruik. Moet bietjie soek daarvoor.

Elke paneel sit seker so 8A uit. Twee panele in parallel gekoppel aan cheap PWM en jy kry 16A wat beter is as 9-10A van een groot paneel.
PS PWM bring voltage af maar hou amp konstant. MPPT bring voltage af en stoot amp op vir maks kW

Twee sulke panele is ook makliker om te maak staan op die grond en vir die son kyk as jou kampwa in die skadu staan.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Ons hijack nou bietjie jou thread vir battery goed.

Gebruik iemand so 'n charger?
Hulle claim dis 'n MPPT en DC-DC all in one vir R2400. Jy kry nie eers 'n MPPT vir daai prys alleen nie.

1655793821034.png

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
Very nice. As ek groot is gaan ek ook so twee panele gebruik. Moet bietjie soek daarvoor.

Elke paneel sit seker so 8A uit. Twee panele in parallel gekoppel aan cheap PWM en jy kry 16A wat beter is as 9-10A van een groot paneel.
PS PWM bring voltage af maar hou amp konstant. MPPT bring voltage af en stoot amp op vir maks kW

Twee sulke panele is ook makliker om te maak staan op die grond en vir die son kyk as jou kampwa in die skadu staan.
Hulle werk magic, vat min spasie maar jy het baie W's en soos jy sê, staan gemaklik op die grond en maklik om te skuif soos die son skuif.

Ek gebruik die controller, hulle is baie bekostigbaar en werk vir my doeleindes.

IMG-20200207-WA0004.jpg

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Ons hijack nou bietjie jou thread vir battery goed.

Gebruik iemand so 'n charger?
Hulle claim dis 'n MPPT en DC-DC all in one vir R2400. Jy kry nie eers 'n MPPT vir daai prys alleen nie.

View attachment 778189
Pla my nie

Ek het al redelik opgelees oor hierdie, baie gesprekke op 4x4com en terugvoer positief. Ek sal self so iets van hou maar toe ek kyk was dit ook moeilik om te kry. Suid Afrikaans vervaardig en die ou het gesukkel om voor te bly, of so iets.
Waar kan jy nou kry?

How do you charge the battery from your vehicle? A DC-DC charger, smart solenoid, something else?

Don't be fooled with the 5min jump in voltage. A DC-DC charger as example gives 20A probably and will need 3 hours to recharge a half drained 120ah.
But then again a 120ah can probably give you 2days of fridge use and when the battery is low the fridge can stay cool for another night before you have to use the car as backup.

According to my trailer specs I have a smart solenoid. the bad one from what I could see on google, meaning it charges quick when battery is low but slow when battery close to full.
which is why I though will do a little boost charge from the car in the mornings whereafter solar will have to take over or maintain.

Slainte Mhaith

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Waar kan jy nou kry?

Ek het gesien op 4x4direct online shop en by WRND self.
Sal graag wil weet of dit genuine mppt is en of hy bullshit probeer verkoop.

According to my trailer specs I have a smart solenoid. the bad one from what I could see on google, meaning it charges quick when battery is low but slow when battery close to full.
Ek weet nie hoe hulle werk nie maar ek dink nie persoonlik 'n smart solenoid is rerig so smart nie. Ek vermoed die smart deel kom in met die voltage meet en wanneer hy oop en toe maak met time delays maar ek dink dis ook maar net 'n oop en toe konneksie en kannie input vs output beheer nie.

m0lt3n

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hy konnekteer direk so jy kan seker 'n lekker groot charge stroom verwag. Die Disco het mos 'n redelike sterk alternator.

View attachment 778263 View attachment 778262
EK lees nou eers hierdie en dit actually baie goeie nuus.
Tans wou ek kar koppel sodat wa saam alternator charge. (Nie wou nie, ek het)
Maar daai geskrewe se hy sal afskakel as hy onder 12.7V val, met ander woorde ek kan ook my koppel op kar verander dat hy reguit van kar se battery af trek terwyl kar dood is ook.

Ek sal dit net doen in nood, het klaar n tweede draad/adapter gemaak vir my altwee opies gee. Die disco gee error codes as sy battery onder 12.6V val.
Vinnige google reken alternator stoot of 140 of 180Amp, klink vir my meer as genoeg.

Right, ek ry more oggend 1am se kant. 10ure roete vir more. ons is super opgewonde!
Maar dit was n rowwe week tuis en by werk, so ons het nog redelike lysie van goed om klaar te maak.
lysie om myself te herinner:
Moet nog tweede battery in trailer sit
anderson plug reguit van trailer batterye trek na yskas
yskas draad knip en anderson fit
tyre kompressor draad knip en anderson fit (en dalk adapter maak met afgeknipte= kroc clamps/anderson)
bike in garage op trickle charger sit
alle bande nog hard pomp vir diesel spaar met lang stretch more
matjie op roofrack vas maak om jerry kanne te kan vat
paar flieks vir kinders op USB kry vir ons sanity

behalwe vir die klomp elektriese goed nie so erg nie as ek nou so kyk.
mmmm tyd kan nou maar kom!

Latest posts