New Member - advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VVTi_X

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hello everyone,

My name is Timothy, recently joined this forum. I don't have any riding experience but suddenly developed an interest in motorcycles. I'm planning to for riding lessons soonest and already started looking for a motorcycle. The plan is to use it for commuting and just riding around on weekends. My budget is R40k for bike and max R15k for gear through financing. I see most people recommend starting on 250cc or less for beginners, but some advise getting something with more oomph for riding on the freeway. I found two candidate bikes, 2013 Honda CBR 300 with 11000 km for R35k and 2004 BMW 650GS with 55000km for R38k, both well looked after bikes (judging by pics). I like the 650GS more due to it's upright position, is the number of years a problem? I like the Honda for the low mileage and mid-sized engine capacity, is the riding position a problem? Both bikes are private sales, is it better to buy from the dealership? Are there other bikes in the price range that I should consider? Please advise.

Best regards