New (old) member

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Provocateur

This was first posted in the Workshop section, so I am repeating myself....

Hi All,  my history follows....  I got my Yami XT660 back today after 2 months recuperating from a fall when a blind guy did a u-turn in front of my bike, so I am stoked at being mobile again....

My first bike was a Velocette 500 single which I bought for R10 (in 1964) while still at school.  I owned it for one week before my Dad (God rest his soul) found out I had it and promptly sold it (for R15).
My next "bike" was a Lambretta 125 (which i also bought for R10) while I did my 9 months in the SAAF.  Petrol in those days was less than 30c a gallon (4.5liters).  (My ciggies were 11c for a pack of 20).
Then I made a boo-boo.  I bought a 1969 Honda CB450 (brand new) for R699 - two months before the CB750 came to SA.  I rode the Honda for about 12 years and then I sold it as I now had kids and didn't want to kill myself and leave the kids destitute.  I was a bit wild in those days - I still love speed.
My next purchases where little bikes (for the kids).  An Italjet 50, a Yamaha 80 mini scrambler and a 50cc Honda "monkeybike".  My youngest son raced the Yami for about 3 years and was so enthusiastic that the rear swingarm had to be replaced. The next bike was a Yami YZ80 for my son....
Then the bike hiatus until June this year, when I bought the XT from a colleague who was promoted to our Switzerland office.  I think I need the refresher course - I will be booking with the BMW academy soon....

And yes, in case I am flamed again, I am an old guy, who thinks young and enjoys biking.  I still have to convince my wife that I don't have a death wish.  :D