new touring enthusiast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flouw

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
HI, im Johan. new to the touring scene.
i dont own a proper tourer nor have i toured yet, but have done a few outrides.

my bike carierstarted with a Honda 70cc "monkey bike". which shortly after i got it running, received a 110 motor from the C110 bike. this costed me R7 worth of petrol a week. (1994)

after that  i bought a DT50 for R300,rebuilt the whole bike, and that lasted me till end of school. and added over 4000km on it. on a small town (Villiersdorp), that is ALLOT.

sold the DT and rebuilt a MB5. fitted a MB100 motor, this had a few "mods". i obtained a MB5 crank case, and was planning on rebuilding the 100cc crank and top end ito the 6 speed case. but never got around to it. i still own the bike, and is licensed, but been standing for 9 years in CPT.

now i reside in Alberton JHB for the past 2 years. and after roaming around, i found some decent gravel roads and farms in the De Deur direction. imediately started itching after 9 years.

Gumtree served up a DT175 for dirt cheap, but needed substantial work. ended up rebuilding the whole motor with donor parts. was planning on getting the motor running, and then rebuild the frame.
3 days later a Suzuki TSx125 liquid cool poped up. bike looked fair, but had a issue with running after top end rebuild. i scooped it up for R2500. spent 4 hours that saturday evening, and it ran like a clock. the reed valve was loose. it being a crank case reed, i had to pull the top ens off. this reveled new piston and rings.
i gave the bike to my fiance, and sworn i wont sell it, as all 3 classic cars ive bought in the past 3 years, i had to convince her its hers before i could buy it. and then it just finds a new owner not long after.

a month after the TS, a XT250 (DOHC 4 valve jobbie) arrived. bike running, but needs some work.
did around 500 odd km on it, and decided it needs to be freshened up, as there is just too many issues to class it reliable.
whole top end rebuilt. and im busy assembling the frame after powdercoating.

from where it is now, ive started itching, want to fit a rack, and some saddle racks. also tank bag. and take it out of town. ill carry the equipment, and the fiance can follow on the TS. (i taught her how to ride, and only been doing it for 4 months, and doing very well. starts the bike herself, and and and very impressed)

thats me....

apologies if it sounds small time, but this is suppose to be the cheap hobby after the very expensive historic racing ive been involved with. the race car has been parked under cover, and other projects put on side.

Attachments

• 2013-10-02 23.15.39.jpg
    2013-10-02 23.15.39.jpg
    141.5 KB