Newcomer to the Cape and Adventure Riding

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Reaction score
Hi Andres here,

as the title says, new to the Cape and South Africa. Travelled around South Africa 19 years ago in a Defender 90 for 6 months and now want to see this country on 2 wheels. I'll start slow and stay in the Western Cape to begin with . Started riding years ago on the roads, travelled in Europe but only on tar. Spent a few years in Australia, again mostly tar. Went off road in Thailand on a 250 and loved it, then a few years in Uganda again off road on a 250. Was hoping to get a 250/300/400 and hit the trails/footpaths around Cape Town but have been told that's a ticket to a one way chat with the law (don't want to do that!!). So Adventure riding it is. Had a 1250 GS in Europe and Australia looking for something lighter and more throwable and easier to pick up!

So I need ideas, firstly I'll need a bike, I'm in my 50's so don't bounce as well as I used to and not as fit as I was - too much healthy living or overweight take your pick.

What bike would people recommend, I want to ride more offroad than tar overall and I need to be able to get spares (I will drop it and need levers!, based on previous experiences.)

Where to go to get riding kit i.e. new boots as my last ones had an argument with a tree stump, boots lost but did their job no injury.

Once I have a bike where should I head out to .... haven't ridden for 2 years because of the job so I will be rusty to say the least. Overall I was maybe a novice rider off road, I wouldn't say I was a beginner but will probably be that after 2 years out of the saddle.

Well thanks for the add and Hello

Cheers

Andres

Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
A hearty welcome @Bradders

What bike would people recommend, I want to ride more offroad than tar overall and I need to be able to get spares

For more offroad-orientated bikes my heart would go out to a KTM 500 EXC-F upgraded with a long-range fuel tank and cush hub. Downside is service interval is every 1000km.

Second to that, albeit a bit heavier to pick up, I'd consider a KTM 690, Yamaha T7, or an old-school Suzuki DR 650SE.

Where to go to get riding kit i.e. new boots as my last ones had an argument with a tree stump, boots lost but did their job no injury.

Hope the tree stump is doing OK 😜

I'm not from Cape Town myself but I believe Flying Brick and Trac-Mac shops are the default go-to places for this.

Once I have a bike where should I head out to ....

The Planning a ride section is a good starting point. Close to Cape Town destinations that are on the tip of my fingers are Anysberge, Cederberg and Tankwa

Reaction score
A hearty welcome @Bradders

For more offroad-orientated bikes my heart would go out to a KTM 500 EXC-F upgraded with a long-range fuel tank and cush hub. Downside is service interval is every 1000km.

Second to that, albeit a bit heavier to pick up, I'd consider a KTM 690, Yamaha T7, or an old-school Suzuki DR 650SE.

Hope the tree stump is doing OK 😜

I'm not from Cape Town myself but I believe Flying Brick and Trac-Mac shops are the default go-to places for this.

The Planning a ride section is a good starting point. Close to Cape Town destinations that are on the tip of my fingers are Anysberge, Cederberg and Tankwa
Thanks for all the information, really appreciate it.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Welcome Andries. Your playground will be the Cederberg and Tankwa Karoo. Whatever you get make sure it has a good size tank distances can become very far if one is enjoying yourself.

Dwerg

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Welcome. Are you here just to travel or work too?

dual

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Welcome, the Overberg also a nice area to ride

MaddyS

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Welcome. I'm going to regret saying this 😂, but I would definitely suggest a KTM for the stunning rides you're going to find in the WC.

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
We started in the WC 14 years ago. We still busy with it. OK we did get kind of stuck in the Tankwa and Sederberge. Enjoy

Crossed-up

Pangaman
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
Welcome Andres. If your riding tastes turn slightly masochistic look up the Quarry/Parklands bunch.

Ri

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Welcome and enjoy the riding! If you aren't in a rush, Honda CRF250 Rally or CRF300L would also work for you.

@Vulcan had a nice CRF300L for sale recently, kitted out for adventure riding, but it was withdrawn.

ultraflight

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi Andres, and Welcome.
You did not mention where in the Cape area you are.
If you can get to Paarden Eiland, you will have Flying Brick, Trac-Mac and Bike Kings, all within walking distance of each other, for kit and accessories. Plus a few bike shops too, alongside those places.
For exploring offroad, you cannot go wrong with starting at the Cederberg area (Cederberg Oasis) then extending that into the Tankwa Karoo (Bike X-Cape) and further North to Namaqualand (Nama Bike Camp). In a different direction and completely different scenery, you have the entire Overberg region to explore, which can be extended to the Little Karoo, the Great Karoo (Ons Karoo Plaas), the Southern Cape and later the Eastern Cape further afield.
There are many groups that regularly organise weekends away, usually via WhatsApp. Join as many such WhatsApp groups as you can and enjoy a variety of different people and places.
I run one such group, which you are welcome to join if you send me your WhatsApp number. We have over 300 members but a typical weekend would consist of around 8 to 12 bikes, and we try to do at least 2 weekends a month away.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Andries if you are not going to pillion and speed is not your thing you should fly up to Windhoek and ride this bike back.