His later videos are quite interesting

Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Unit: SA Navy - SAS President Pretorius - Durban and SAS Inkonkoni
Year:79/81
Highlight: klaaring out.  haha time out at sea was ausome
Lowlight: going in.  getting sea sick
What did you learn about yourself: amazing how deep you can dig to get through stuff
Do you think National Service is good or bad: two years was too much but a year would be good

eberhard

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Moto Guzzi (all models)
Badger Aherin said:
Unit: SA Navy - SAS President Pretorius - Durban and SAS Inkonkoni
Year:79/81
Highlight: klaaring out.  haha time out at sea was ausome
Lowlight: going in.  getting sea sick
What did you learn about yourself: amazing how deep you can dig to get through stuff
Do you think National Service is good or bad: two years was too much but a year would be good

:thumleft:

I take it that you then know very well the difference between a gun and a rifle (and that a ship doesn’t have wheels ;)).

AfricaMike

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Unit: Ops Medic, 203 Bn, Sector 20
Year: 1985/6
Highlight: Learning to spoorsny with the bushmen trackers.  Drinking tequila out of a tin cup.  Watching soldiers chew daraclor antimalarials.
Lowlight:  Blood - lots of it.  Losing contact with the bushmen after uitklaar.
What did you learn about yourself:  Helping people who need it is valuable.
Do you think National Service is good or bad:  Good - mostly.  If we still had the old SADF I would have sent my son.

I had a great time in the army.  I kakked off in training - hated basics in Potch but strangely was the only one in our platoon to volunteer for Ops Medics - but the friends I made then are still friends I have today.  14 months with 203 was arguably the best and worst time of my life.  I look at my own kids and wonder how the hell we did it when we were 18 years old.  A different world.

We all have that GV photo hidden away somewhere - here's mine - this one was taken just north of Omaunie (sp??) when we were tracking for the Bats (from 44 if memory serves).......

Attachments

• 203Bn.jpg
    203Bn.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 512

Bie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
SADF had 2 types of rats. Some had clear plastic wrapping over the box and was numbered 1-5 to indicate the different content. Then there was the one with green plastic wrapping, descriptions were indeed in Portugese. Menu was completely different, did not have the instant porridge and stuff like that, rather a type of partially prepared mieliepas. Was normally issued to 32Bn, compiled to suit their troops' needs and preferences.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
was numbered 1-5

Ek het net no's 4 en 5 geeet. Het uitgeruil tot al myne 4 en 5 was. Corned Beef and hash met groen ertjies elke dag. :deal:

Casting from Turd

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Bie said:
SADF had 2 types of rats. Some had clear plastic wrapping over the box and was numbered 1-5 to indicate the different content. Then there was the one with green plastic wrapping, descriptions were indeed in Portugese. Menu was completely different, did not have the instant porridge and stuff like that, rather a type of partially prepared mieliepas. Was normally issued to 32Bn, compiled to suit their troops' needs and preferences.

Thanks for that. Didnt know that but makes sense

Stormer69

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Unit:61 Mech Battalion
Year:1988/1989
Highlight:Cuito Cuanavale
Lowlight:Elections in Namibia 1999
What did you learn about yourself:To persevere
Do you think National Service is good or bad:It was the best thing for me, not everyone fits in and have serious authority issues....

Africanus

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
Stormer69 said:
Year:1998/1999

You are ten years late boet.

You sound like Oilspill.

But ja, I know what you mean.

KaTooMatt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Africanus said:
Stormer69 said:
Year:1998/1999

You are ten years late boet.

You sound like Oilspill.

But ja, I know what you mean.
Looking at the sequence of events I would say he mistyped and meant to type 1987, 1988

Alpine Al

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Unit 2 Engineers
Unit: 2 Engineer Regiment
Year: '79 t0 '81 then camps
Highlight: Spent a good few months in Tsumeb, some staying in the Minen Hotel with airforce guys whilst my unit had no clue where I was. Had a ball jolling to Windhoek some weekends and spending most days at the country club pool.
Lowlight: When the rugby players of my Oshakati unit ( 25 field squadron ) came to Tsumeb to play rugby and recognized me with a lovely girlfriend in the movie theater. Next Monday the OC and SSM were there to haul me back.
What did you learn? That your body can endure far more than you'll ever immagine. That when you take chances you'll rarely regret them. To make the best of something you don't have a choice in and find as many ways you can to enjoy, learn and prosper from it. To make life long friends. National service good or bad: Generaly good but not for everyone.

subie

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR125L
Ek was 3 weke 16 toe klim ek die trein army toe (Des 1975 ). Ek was ook die enigste een met unlimitted drinking license in army ID boek daai tyd :lol8:
Kom ek af op my ou army ID. Ek was die enigste van daardie intake en ook die jongste wat n unlimited drinking license gehad het op 16. Iemand wat die boekies gemaak het se grappie:LOL:

Attachments

• army book.jpg
    army book.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Unit: 101Bn
Rank: Lieutenant (mostly one pip, second, just before I left)
Year: 86/87
Highlights: Working with my Owambo troops and seeing just how good they were.
Telling my training officer from Oudtshorn not to let me see him in a contact because I would shoot him for being a favouritsm challenged !!unt! He went a pale grey. I was deadly serious.
Lowlight: Experiencing favoritism. Not knowing what became of my troops once SWA became Namibia
What did you learn about yourself: I was way better than my school teachers had promised I would be.
Do you think National Service is good or bad: For most essential, for a few destructive.
20220105_120036.jpg

RobC

Not a bachelor.
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Kom ek af op my ou army ID. Ek was die enigste van daardie intake en ook die jongste wat n unlimited drinking license gehad het op 16. Iemand wat die boekies gemaak het se grappie:LOL:
Lucky sod... my beperking is eers op die grens gelig toe ek verjaar.

Roxtar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Unit: Berede Alfa Company
Year: 1990
Highlight: Learning to REALLY be able to ride a horse
Lowlight: Not being on the border for full stint
What did you learn about yourself: As jy DINK jy kan nie meer nie, kan jy nog BAIE!
Do you think National Service is good or bad: Was awesome, had a great time and met great people and learnt some new skills! Really enjoyed being the Browning machine gun operator and looking the shit like Rambo draped in bullets with a "f'k y'all" stare... my ears still are ringing to this day from that gun.....