Oil contamination…smells like petrol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjn

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hoping to get some guidance here.

After coming back from Baviaans in November the 990 has had an oil change, done maybe 300km total after just to check for leaks etc. So mostly just chilling on the trickle charger. I have now made a habit of checking the oil level after a ride…parked on the centre stand, give it 15mins and then check. And unless I am being stupid the oil level has increased on the last few rides and the oil smells (at least to me it does) of petrol. After the oil change I had the level halfway between min and max on the stick, when warm. After a quick ride this morning its above max.

So when I changed the oil I noted that the filter was NOT wavy, and I inspected the clutch recently…there were no signs of waterpump issues to explain the rise in oil level.

The petrol consumption on the Baviaans trip was not too bad, and consistently so, at around 270ish until reserve light comes on. 
Light went on now at about the same, so no appreciable change there.

Not smoking, nothing out of the ordinary.

So now the question….should I just take the bike to TRP7 to check what the hell is going on (was planning to do that later anyway for the valve check service), or can I send away an oil sample for analysis to see how bad the oil contamination is? Not planning on doing any of the work myself BTW, just thought it would be useful in tracing the problem. I stick to small jobs that I have the tools and patience for.