On a mission to find a cave

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cave Girl

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
So Misty and I decided to put the new bike to the test now that it has had it's first service. I was doing a caving trip on Sunday in the Ventersdorp area but had forgotten exactly how to get there so Misty plotted us a route to the GPS co-ordinates I had for the cave.
Our trip started at the Shell garage on 14th avenue took us out passed Pinehaven and onto the Dirt just passed the Magallies turnoff - The 230 managed to keep up with Misty on the tar though we never went over 120km. What a fantastic route Misty found - we were not sure what to expect but the roads were really great - in the most part dirt highways with the odd loose gravel and rocky area to keep us on our toes, or should I say foot pegs  :)
We had a ride which gave us Mud, puddles, thick sand, loads of loose rocks and some really great long flat dirt highway where we were able to push my limits to 90 / 100km.
With a detour to Centurion to visit my new puppy my total trip was 479km all in all a great day and a fantastic route – Oh and we found the entrance to the farm and had a great caving trip on the Sunday ;-)
Thanks Misty for another great route and fun ride.
Pics:
At the start
Along the way
One of the many T junctions
The lunch spot

Attachments

• July 17th Ride start.jpg
    July 17th Ride start.jpg
    8.1 KB
  • July17th along the way.jpg
    July17th along the way.jpg
    81.6 KB
  • July 17th another T Junction.jpg
    July 17th another T Junction.jpg
    84.4 KB
  • July 17th Boons T Junction.jpg
    July 17th Boons T Junction.jpg
    72.6 KB
  • July 17th Lunch spot in Ventersdorp.jpg
    July 17th Lunch spot in Ventersdorp.jpg
    87 KB
Nearly home
The new puppy ;-)

Attachments

• July 17th nearly home.jpg
    July 17th nearly home.jpg
    92.8 KB
  • Water crossing Misty.jpg
    Water crossing Misty.jpg
    81 KB
  • Delila.jpg
    Delila.jpg
    60.3 KB
  • Delila & Brother.jpg
    Delila & Brother.jpg
    47.8 KB
Will ask Misty to post as I am not sure how  :) the route from just outside Koster to Derby was not planned and was quite sandy and loads of fun  :D
The cave entrance is about 40km form Swartruggens (SP??) so in the area you are keen to do.

Attachments

• Route to Ventersdorp.JPG
    Route to Ventersdorp.JPG
    172.8 KB
Come on CG, tell us more about the bike!!

You happy?
What is you cruising speed???
maybe you can even compare it to an older Honda 250?
I had lots of fun on my XL250!

The bike is happy to cruse at 120/130 on the tar and did not seem to mind the 30/40km stretch - even went to 135 on the downhill and dropped to about 110 on the long uphills. On the dirt it is fantastic - I had so much fun was able to go through the thick sand at around 56km now I know that may not seem like a lot but for me that usually has to paddle through it, it was a huge +
Compared to the 230 ... The bike feels like it is going a lot faster as it is not straining all the time - The 230 at 90 feels like it is doing 60 and struggles to do the long tar stretches - the 250 is exteamly comfortable and a lot easier to stand an ride. I found that if I had to drop to 60/70 on the tar because of traffic it opend up easily enough to overtake which is not the case with the 230 that needs a bit of a run to get to top speed. It still felt like the front weel wanted to wash out in the thick sand, but was much better at the faster speed - cornering was great - remember I usually drop to 20/30km round corners and was able to sit at 60/70 quite happily - Not sure how much is a head thing and how much a bike thing to be honest but I am definatly going to be a lot more fun to ride behind in future  :D

Cave Girl said:
The bike is happy to cruse at 120/130 on the tar and did not seem to mind the 30/40km stretch - even went to 135 on the downhill and dropped to about 110 on the long uphills. On the dirt it is fantastic - I had so much fun was able to go through the thick sand at around 56km now I know that may not seem like a lot but for me that usually has to paddle through it, it was a huge +
Compared to the 230 ... The bike feels like it is going a lot faster as it is not straining all the time - The 230 at 90 feels like it is doing 60 and struggles to do the long tar stretches - the 250 is exteamly comfortable and a lot easier to stand an ride. I found that if I had to drop to 60/70 on the tar because of traffic it opend up easily enough to overtake which is not the case with the 230 that needs a bit of a run to get to top speed. It still felt like the front weel wanted to wash out in the thick sand, but was much better at the faster speed - cornering was great - remember I usually drop to 20/30km round corners and was able to sit at 60/70 quite happily - Not sure how much is a head thing and how much a bike thing to be honest but I am definatly going to be a lot more fun to ride behind in future  :D

Thx CG!!

Thanks to you too CG - had a lekker ride :) 400 km for a days work and mainly dirt, what fun!

I must say,, not sure if it's the tornado in you now ;) but CG your riding has improved stax!! One stretch where you were leading I was battling to keep up  :ricky:

And btw new Delilah is too cute!!

The track there as well as the more or less route we took back for those interested...

Attachments

• Ventersdorp.gdb
    37.6 KB
  • GM to Magaliesburg.gdb
    41 KB