Oribi outing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noble steed

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
It's been 2 months since we moved out of Gauteng, and so far haven't done any riding to speak of. The only trip the bikes have had out the garage is a 120km sprint to the Durban airport before dawn, and returning home again after sunset. Definately not counting as adventure riding!

So today I decided was the day that I would make time to get the dust off the bikes. Unfortunately, as Tulip is in a delicate way, she was not feeling happy to be riding along, so solo it is. And I had a choice of bikes... Eventually decided on the BMW coz the Strom at least has had a chance to do some highway sprinting (see above) and I have more carry space on the BM for the nice camera.

120km, 2 1/2 hours, lots of breaks for pics, Tulip was very sad been left behind so I had to try and bring the little ride home for her.

I googled some roads around Oribi, all looked fun, and headed out from Shelly Beach up towards Paddock. Got the first little stretch of gravel, mostly very badly corrugated but Donkey enjoyed rattling along. Lost a little of my gravel finesse after the little break (not that I had too much anyway), so had a slow cruise along the road.

The farm lands looking much greener than their Gauteng counterparts

Encountered a teeny tiny mountain pass, with some pretty trees. Okay, a windy bit of road going over a hill, with some pretty trees.

After Paddock I spent a stretch on the N2 looking for some more farm roads. Found another nice stretch heading towards Oribi gorge. African Trees:

The road that had just been ridden

All over the farmlands are little dams which actually have water in them! Think summer going to be a muddy affair!

And the roads to come

The gravel ended joining onto a narrow little tar road heading through the Oribi Nature Reserve. Luckily a public road so can be enjoyed by all sorts of bikes (including yellow ones). Some beautiful views

At the bottom of the gorge I set up the tripod so I could say I was there too (not just the bike!)

Coming out of the gorge again, the bush opens up in places to make good view spots.

Once out the nature reserve, headed off to Oribi flats to enjoy the rolling hills bewteen the settlements. Many people have warned us since been here to not go out to the flats, bad place. I just enjoyed the ride. Like most informal settlements in Gauteng, most residents just wave and the kids all run out to see the bike going past! Hopefully my future experiences remain as positive.

The rolling flats:

Last little river crossing before hitting the highway again.

I took the same gravel backroads back as I used to get there, much more interesting than highway! Hopefully soon Tulip will be able to share the rides again!

And next ride will not take another 2 months!!  ;D

WoW reminds me of my school days - I lived in Izotsha - there used to be a really great dirt road from Shelly Beach through Izotsha to Paddock. Also from Izotsha to Margate. You are very lucky the area there is beautiful and the farmers very friendly. If you get up to the Kokstad area some great riding in the zinqwazi (SP??) forests - some great dirt roads from Kokstad through to Ixopo/ Pietermaritzburg. I wish when I lived in Kokstad I had owned a bike!! Enjoy and post lots of pic's please :)

Nice one NS!  I did the Oribi on my XT middle last year. Beautiful area.

Jumped the gorge a few years back, would like to ride that route sometime! Great RR!

Hey Cavegirl

I hope I will be able to provide you with many pictures in the near future! I've missed riding these last 2 months! And you've given me some nice ideas of where to go explore further.

And I do not have any plans to jump the gorge, Willem  :p

Nice report there NS...

Hope Tulip is doing well. Maybe next time get her to meet up for lunch at a point then she can take the photos and you won't need the tripod.

Hi NS - Hope Abby is growing big and strong !

Next time up there this spot is worth a visit. Track attached

OribiGorge004.jpg

Suspect the road down is on private land, but I bumped into the farmer and told him I saw the viewsite on Google Earth, and he pointed out the road to the viewsite for me. Nice man !

I am coming down on 16th Sep - bike on trailer - will be in DBN w/e 20/21 Sep and maybe the following one.

Durbs is a bit far, and not sure how many passes you get per month from preggy Tulip, but was thinking of visiting "my" valley again.

Something like :-

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=16581.0

Any other KZN dogs keen ?

Attachments

• OribiForNobleSteed.gpx
    74.6 KB
I am - please pm me. I do have some commitments that weekend but I'll certainly see what I can do.

Cave Girl said:
WoW reminds me of my school days - I lived in Izotsha - there used to be a really great dirt road from Shelly Beach through Izotsha to Paddock. Also from Izotsha to Margate. You are very lucky the area there is beautiful and the farmers very friendly. If you get up to the Kokstad area some great riding in the zinqwazi (SP??) forests - some great dirt roads from Kokstad through to Ixopo/ Pietermaritzburg. I wish when I lived in Kokstad I had owned a bike!! Enjoy and post lots of pic's please :)

CG, you know the Bard's  Zac was one of my best mates at school.

Hi Gunda

I'd love to join you but unfortunately working both those weekends. Will have to go explore there another time.

My current licence disc only expires December, till then I will be a tourist! Not going to part with my money before I have to... :biggrin:

Looks like there are some very nice roads out there to ride - nice report!  :)