PACKING OPTIONS , SUGGESTIONS .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
GOOD DAY , I am posting this in the general biking section hoping to get good suggestions ....

I am going to visit my partner in Mosselbay over Xmas , 10 days and riding down with my 1190 . I have a OEM top box and panniers to use , but if I can get away with only using the top box it will be a big win !
Where we are staying there is a no clothes washing policy and one needs to make use of the local laundry , and second problem is the drying time if clothes are to be washed and no drier option available , this means I have to prepare clothes for 10 days , and with shoes i could possibly just run out of space in the top box . Adding the panniers solves the problem, but add some wind resistance and makes the bike as wide as a Putco bus :ROFLMAO: . Not a big problem as I have toured like this on all my trips . this time I will be one up.
I have thought of strapping a bag on top of the top box to put the shoes in , for this I have a expandable tank bag that could work , just not sure how well the KTM base plate will hold with the extra weight.
Or am I just wasting my own effort and should just go with the panniers , pack the heavier stuff in them and make the top box light , and enjoy the ride .
what say you travellers ? best option suggestion .
PS , I will pitstop in Middelburg ec , bike has safe parking inside the premises , so I can leave the panniers locked to the bike overnight , as they are a pita to carry up to the room and back again , but i can be done . just want to make things as easy as possible .