PE Region - exploring the lower Gamtoos and Loerie area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki Djebel 250XC
Purpose:  Solo exploration ride
Date: 23 March 2008
Route:  As per yellow indicator line on map. 
  • PE - Van Stadens Pass - Thornhill - Gamtoos Estuary
  • Gamtoos Ferry - Melon - Loerie Dam - Otter State Forest boundary
  • Loerie - old road - Thornhill - Longmore Forest Station
  • Thornhill - PE via Van Stadens Pass
Conditions: Tar, highway gravel, not-so smooth gravel, keep-your-concentration gravel
Report:  As per collage of photographs A to L

Will plan a formal outride for PE Wild Dogs utilizing some of the above routes in near future. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    222.4 KB
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    74.1 KB
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    122 KB
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    68.6 KB
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    88.5 KB
Thanks Watty-awesome area,brings back many fond memories of the Winterberg enduros i`ve raced in there

Very cool ride, makes me look at rocks in a totally different way. Those are the roads I like to explore as well and they are in our backyard

Paulsky said:
Very cool ride, makes me look at rocks in a totally different way. Those are the roads I like to explore as well and they are in our backyard
Yeb!  Lots of lekker routes to be found there, especially the Longmore Forest area.  I actually had the go ahead from the ranger (they were having a big braai near the entrance when I rolled up) at the Longmore Forest to go and enjoy myself, but the lack of fuel and being on my own, made me rather turn around with the promise to return another day.

Can you post or mail me the actual file, I want to look a little more closely in Google Earth.

Watty het jy die track record op jou GPS? As jy het post hulle hier ASB?

Ons moet 'n plan maak om almal daar te gaan ry.

I take it you are a geologist? No one else would think that anyone would find the near vertical foliated shales of the Bokkeveld group would be in any way interesting! ::) ;D

Bru, I love your bike! I did Uganda and Rwanda in a oder version. Bike was unbreakable.

Thanks for the pics and map. Wanna go down thata way soon.  :)

Watty, there are certainly no lack of opportunities now! I am mainly involved in platinum exploration in the Bushveld and copper/cobalt in the DRC. Would you like o job in the DRC? At least I know you can recognise a shale! ;D ;D

DeepBass9 said:
Watty, there are certainly no lack of opportunities now! I am mainly involved in platinum exploration in the Bushveld and copper/cobalt in the DRC. Would you like o job in the DRC? At least I know you can recognise a shale! ;D ;D
Thanx, but I cannot see myself walking around doing surveying in the Congo, to hot and humid, not to mention the big mozzies  ;D  A good friend and ex-colleague of mine did a lot of work in West Africa recently (he is a snr sedimentologist at Geoscience) and I was given a first hand account of conditions there.  The pay is however good  :p

Nice one Watty! Lots of stuff there I haven't seen before.