performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Well, fitted the last bit of farkling today; R1100RS intake tubes - they are fatter but shorter. The bike performs a hell of a lot better, but we're down here in the Cape, so more air pressure and oxygen also helps. I can now set the air fuel ratio. Got it at 13.8:1 at the moment. 3.5bar fuel pressure regulator. Think the R1200s came out with them. Brisk spark plugs. Widened the air intake snorkel mouth. Lennies rocket sprockets. Free flow exhaust and db-killer (baffle), BMC air filter. I also fitted that other cam chain tensioner..the bike really does sound quieter at idle.

What I love about this, is that I did not do real mods like pistons and cams (very expensive those...). So, reliability should not be an issue. Fuel consumption is not that much higher. Getting 15-17km/L, where before I got around 17km/L. But... it may also be due to more twisting of the pigs' ears.

Getting away in 1st is easier, and accelerating seems effortless. Dropping a gear for overtaking is less called for (even with the long 6th). The front wheel lofts in first and second under acceleration (but again, being down at the Cape should also be factored in). I don't pop wheelies, but if I knew what I was doing (and I don;t), it shouldn't bee too difficult..

Overall, I'm happy. This has been a year of more of dreaming about the 'mods' I wanted to do. A lot of reading up of things other guys have done. Don't think I'll farkle her anymore....but...if the heads need to be removed for some expensive reason, I might also gasflow the heads, and if I got my bonus fit high compression pistons.....maybe not