Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Jip, part of the reason I switched from diesel to petrol
Petrol will never have the low down torque of a diesel. I for one change gears on 2200rpm and klaar. With a petrol you wont get anywhere if you try that.

One thing to remember, never EVER put diesel in by a Ultra City or Engine 1 Stop next to Highways. That is the most expensive diesel you will buy. They hit max profit per liter on diesel and end of story.

Here by us we have a Shell depot. Fill up with 50ppm diesel there, and its R1.50 per liter cheaper than the cheapest garage in town. R23.60 per liter. That R1.50 makes a difference if you have a 180 liter tank :giggle:

Manic

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Another thing I also dont believe in, is the special additives everyone claims their fuel has.

The truck drivers that deliver our fuel at our Station told me more than once, the Caltex, BP etc branded trucks, que in the same line at Natref and Sasol, fill up their tankers, and leave for the garages. Here in PE all the trucks que at the Harbour, fill up from the same big storage tanks, and leave for different brand stations.

Boertjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I use diesel for my bakkie. There is a free App called PitStop. It lists the petrol stations near you with the price they charge. In my area (Helderberg basin), price for 50ppm diesel ranges from R24.15 to R26.43 this morning.

Nice App, since it uses phone’s GPS and you always have info on garages wherever you go.

BikerJan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Taxi's are normally petrol, Busses are Diesel

BikerJan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Another thing I also dont believe in, is the special additives everyone claims their fuel has.

The truck drivers that deliver our fuel at our Station told me more than once, the Caltex, BP etc branded trucks, que in the same line at Natref and Sasol, fill up their tankers, and leave for the garages. Here in PE all the trucks que at the Harbour, fill up from the same big storage tanks, and leave for different brand stations.
At Natref additives are added to the trucks after they are filled with the "standard" fuel. Each petrol company then adds it's own additives. This get done in the truck loading bays.

Bappas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
At Natref additives are added to the trucks after they are filled with the "standard" fuel. Each petrol company then adds it's own additives. This get done in the truck loading bays.

That is how I have it as well

BikerJan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
That is how I have it as well
We have designed a couple of bulk storage fuel depot's, including the Sasol Depot in Alrode, some changes at Natref to name a few, so thereforte I have some knowledge on the loading gantry's, additives etc etc

Bappas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
We have designed a couple of bulk storage fuel depot's, including the Sasol Depot in Alrode, some changes at Natref to name a few, so thereforte I have some knowledge on the loading gantry's, additives etc etc

I had a fuel station years ago and did a product knowledge at the the refinery So i have a outdated basic understanding🤣🤣

Anton F

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)

I drive a 2.5 DMax and it gives less km/l on BP than on Total or Caltex.
Tested it a couple of times now travelling between GP and NC. Only conclusion is additives

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
1664964407987.png
Here is a calculation to show the difference in total costs in 2017 on these 3 models. I was in Fleet Management and we could calculate the cheapest to run over a period of 6o months.

I want to do this calculation again with the current fuel pricing as well as the new costs of vehicles.

punisher

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I do not have hair, but my hairdresser says it is due to them (ANC) wanting to pave the way to get the trucks off the roads and force use off the railways that are not working! Similar to the Post Office with parcels!
always listen to the hairdresser

Oubones

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Does anybody have an explanation as to why the petrol price is dropping more than diesel? The pricing explanations here does not explain why the gap is growing between the two!

chicco

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
View attachment 796120
Here is a calculation to show the difference in total costs in 2017 on these 3 models. I was in Fleet Management and we could calculate the cheapest to run over a period of 6o months.

I want to do this calculation again with the current fuel pricing as well as the new costs of vehicles.
Did you consider the price of the vehicle as well? The petrol worked out much more those days, please let us know with the current vehicle prices and fuel price. Vehicle price is now the same, diesel or petrol.

Welsh

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS

Metering pumps add the dye and the addatives at the filling point, same everywhere.

Biesie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Does anybody have an explanation as to why the petrol price is dropping more than diesel? The pricing explanations here does not explain why the gap is growing between the two!
Global demand for diesel has increased due to gas shortages in Europe for 1. Diesel is being stockpiled as a backup plan

MegaPix

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Zero (all models)
Did you consider the price of the vehicle as well? The petrol worked out much more those days, please let us know with the current vehicle prices and fuel price. Vehicle price is now the same, diesel or petrol.
The vehicle price is right at the top of the calculation and the most critical part of working out the total c/km and running cots in total

I am considering a new vehicle as the bakkie might go to the girlfriend as she is giving her car to the kid going to matric. So I am looking at some options and diesel vs petrol is part of it. Will share once I have a clue what the c/km on maintenance works out too. I don't have access to the costs anymore

It also depended on the average km/ month over the period as well as the costs including or excluding of tyres too