Pillions - the correlation between cc and ability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvanZ

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Is bigger displacement the absolute answer to riding with a pillion?

In the past the biggest displacement motorcycle I rode was a 650cc twin. Great for one up riding, and it managed just fine with a pillion too, but I always felt some mechanical sympathy for the bike when having the pillion with me. I could be wrong...

Now I'm looking at getting back into riding and would like the Dog's input on the matter.
I'm guessing that 95% of my riding will be alone, but now and then it would be great to be able to take the wife on a longer trip. 300-700km type trips...being able to stick to the national speed limits, with some gear/baggage...
A 1200cc would obviously be great, but is it really necessary? Physically the 1200's are big and will be a bit more challenging for the 95% I would spend riding it alone, mostly in and around built up areas.
Would a 750/800cc motorcycle be able to cope with this type of infrequent abuse in the long run, carrying the combined weight?

What say ye?

cheers R