Power up GPS units

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Although all my GPS units run off batteries and will do so quite happily, I also put a USB power plug in so that I can run them off the bike 12v supply. The reason for this is twofold, firstly when they run off batteries they will not remain on full screen brightness and default to a dimmer setting quite quickly and secondly they tend to turn off over a jolt when they are on batteries. I discovered the cure for this when I took the units apart (solder the battery box spring contacts to the PCB) and why it doesn't happen when plugged into USB power (the USB contacts are soldered to the PCB already) I realised that there is another solution which I can see will help me out when I need to run a second GPS at the 7 bridges ride (see https://www.rockrabbits.co.za/index.php ) The solution is to use one of the battery packs which are sold to extend cellphone life. The GPS will run off one of these on full brightness for about 8 hours which is good for a day's ride and will then default to the internal batteries afterwards. Ian

Attachments

• EtrexPowerpack.jpg
    EtrexPowerpack.jpg
    168.6 KB