Project Tornado...Potato

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR250 Tornado
I bought a 2014 Honda Tornado (or Honda Potato as my son calls it), it has 71k km on it and hasn't seen any maintenance in the past 4 years. So here is some details on what I am doing (thanks to [member=26157]stcomza[/member] for nudging me to share).

The first thing is to get it roadworthy. The bike had zero brakes - 71k km on the brake shoes and disc does that. A lot of the plastics, electricals and lights were loose and gunk covered most of the original drive train.

How it started:

IMG-4024.jpg

How it is currently going:

IMG-4042.jpg

The list of tasks:
- Find way to work on bike (squat rack + ratchet straps & jack stands + swapped foot pegs)
- Remove rear wheel (a lot of effort, no lube in sight, shot bearing, that shaft will be well greased from now on)
- Remove front wheel (much better state than the rear, if you ignore the horror of front brake assembly)
- Redo rear brake (clean, re-lube, new shoes)
- Redo front brake (new pads, disc, tried to fix scratch in piston, brake fluid)
- New chain, sprocket front & rear
- Drained oil & replaced oil filter (oil & filter looked surprisingly good)
- Clutch lever clean & lube
- Brake assy clean & lube

Very handy stuff here:
- https://xr250tornado.wordpress.com/alternative-spares-list
- 22 Blesbok Ave, Pretoria, Koedoespoort

I will update on my progress soon. Will get some parts from OffRoadCycles on Saturday and then see if I can get the Potato roadworthy next week. Do the registration and then strip the bike again.

I keep thinking - The plan was not to buy a project, but golly it is loads of fun to work on a bike

Reactions: TVB