Protective Gear - Where to Start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 600 Z
Hi Guys

Been wanting to post this and ask for advise a while now.

Let me first confess and get it out of the way.............I'm currently being stupid, riding gravel trips with my old XT with only a helmet and shorty boots and an old PT Short and t-shirt.

There, I said it, it's out, and I know I'm stupid doing this.

1) What are the basics I need for weekend gravel trips, doing 50-90km/h on good gravel, and also some more challenging 2 spoor paadjies? I also think I'll üpgrade"to more challenging rocky stuff etc etc soon.
2) I'm looking at as much comfort as possible, and as little fuss as possible.........sorry this sounds funny, but remember I'm a PT short and t-shirt type of Guy,and I just KNOW that I wont be wearing a tonne of braces and long boots etc etc all the time. For instance, there's just almost NO way that I'd wear long full blast Gaerne boots on a weekend gravel travel........there are 3 pairs in the store room, but I just don't like those things, they're not comfy and I cant walk in them.
3) As cool as possible obviously, for summer riding.

Sorry Guys I know the ideal safe way to go here is all the gear, the more the better.......but, in practice, I just KNOW that this wont always happen with me.

Looking at gear that I can move around in, or then at least remove quickly when I stop for a break longer than a smoke break.

Looking at the "basics", and then take my picks from there.

Thanks, all advise MUCH appreciated.